What is Bipolar junction transistor?

Bipolar Junction transistor:

1. A solid state device made up of single crystal.

2. A current controlled device.

3. It is compact in size, rugged construction, low operating voltage, high efficiency and long life with no ageing effect.

4. Main drawbacks are that it has loud hum noise, restricted operating point and operating frequency.

BJT

When the N-type of material is sandwiched between two P-type of material then a PNP transistor is formed.

When a P-type of material is sandwiched between two N-type of material then it is said as NPN transistor.

5. Each transistor has two PN junctions. One junction is called emitter base junction because it is the junction between emitter and the base and other is called collector base junction as this junction is between collector and base.

Transistor terminals;

6. There are three part or terminals in the transistor. One side section supplies free charges or emits charges is called as the emitter. The other side section collects these charges called as the collector. The center section is called as the base. Let’s discuss them in detail:

a. Emitter: it is the left hand region of the transistor. Its main function is to supply majority charge carriers to the base. In PNP transistor majority charge carriers are holes and in NPN they are electrons. The emitter is always forward bias with respect to the base. The emitter is heavily doped as compared to other regions.

b. Base: It is the middle section of the transistor. It is lightly doped and is very thin in comparison to the emitter and the collector so that is can pass most of the injected charge carriers to the collector.

c. Collector: It is the left hand section of the transistor. It collects the charge carriers. Collector is reverse biased so that to remove the charge carriers away from its junction with the base. It is moderately doped.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Thanks a lot.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Image rotated for ease of reading! 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everyone, I need assistance anf guidance, as I completed my btech in ECE I am confused about choosing a job oriented course , can anyone please guide me and...
Smartphone manufactures are always trying to cram in as much battery life as possible to their products but their efforts cannot keep up with expectations of a generation who like...
from where i can download LAN driver for my dell inspiron N5010 ? because i want to use windows 8 on my laptop and Dell company do not provides drivers...
The jobs that require people to be on their feet 90% of the times; such as in factories, assembly lines, warehouses, restaurants et cetera are naturally very tiring. It's almost...
Malaria, an infectious disease spread by mosquitoes, affects hundreds of millions of people and is also responsible for a million deaths every year across the globe. It is caused when...