What is a box filter?

I am currently studying feature detectors and descriptors, and when reading about SURF, I read that it uses box filters and applies them to integral images. What exactly are box filters and what is the difference between a box filter and a regular filter? where do the term BOX come from?

Replies

• rukawa
    rukawa
    Does anyone know what a box filter is?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rukawa
    Does anyone know what a box filter is?
    A little more information would definitely suffice. I did a search and found a paper that might be relevant. I've absolutely no idea what it's talking about, though: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • aarav sharma
    aarav sharma
    Box filtering is basically an average-of-surrounding-pixel kind of image filtering. It is actually a convolution filter which is a commonly used mathematical operation for image filtering. A convolution filters provide a method of multiplying two arrays to produce a third one. In box filtering, image sample and the filter kernel are multiplied to get the filtering result. The filter kernel is like a description of how the filtering is going to happen, it actually defines the type of filtering. The power of box filtering is one can write a general image filter that can do sharpen, emboss, edge-detect, smooth, motion-blur, etcetera. Provided approriate filter kernel is used.

Now that I probably had wet your appetite let us see further the coolness of box filtering and its filter kernel. A filter kernel defines filtering type, but what exactly is it? Think of it as a fixed size small box or window larger than a pixel. Imagine that it slides over the sample image through all positions. While doing so, it constantly calculates the average of what it sees through its window.
    The minimum standard size of a filter kernel is 3x3, as shown in above diagram. Due to the rule that a filter kernel must fit within the boundary of sampling image, no filtering will be applied on all four sides of the image in question. With special treatment, it can be done, but what is more important than making the basic work first? Enough talk, lets get to the implementation asap!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - please do not copy-paste from other websites. It's called plagiarism. Your post has been copied from: Tech-Algorithm.com ~ Box Filtering .
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A little more information would definitely suffice. I did a search and found a paper that might be relevant. I've absolutely no idea what it's talking about, though: #-Link-Snipped-#

Actually reading this paper is what brought me here, but thanks anyway.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Corning has announced the availability of USB 3.0 Optical Cables. While the topic of cables is usually boring for many of us, the latest offering from Corning should definitely get...
guys i need an advice on choosing a project topic and probably a list of topics would help in these areas. 1. ethical hacking 2. data mining 3.internet security 4....
hi guys...i want to know about sms based search engine..i want to choose it as my project topic....plzzz can any one suggest me how it works and how to implement...
Sir, plz guide me .how can i delete log file in sqlserver 2008 by command mode and any other ways.
uBuntu 14.04 LTS (Long Term Support) is now available for download from the official website. It's been just ~6 months since the launch of uBuntu Saucy Salamander and we've a...