What happens to your online accounts when you die?

Do we have the right to bequeath our digital accounts like we do other property?
Would we want to at all?
Lawmakers may be getting into the act.
What do CEans feel?
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Yeah, it'd be great to know that my status after I die gets updated to 'At the grave' or "On a journey never to return'. But you never know when you'd die. It could happen the very next moment, and it could happen to anyone of any age. With you, everything you've been through should get buried, but memories should remain. And these days, memories are stored online, which is an uneasy feeling. I think, photographs and post should remain visible, and accounts should not be handed over to relatives. Your account should remain as a stand-by remainder of who you were. And Facebook/any other media should not exploit this data to others, even if the person is famous.
  • avii
    avii
    There should be an app in which everyone supposed to give roll calls every now and then. if you miss it three times continuously, it would declare you as dead, take control of you facebook/twitter and put an update as 'Died, RIP' 😛
  • Root
    Root
    I think we need not do nothing.

We marvel the cave drawings, creations and thoughts of long dead people found after centuries or even millennia. Perhaps our online presence remaining here might find of some use to later generations.

Don't want to leave anything? Don't create it. Or else leave a will with your online accounts and passwords with instruction what to do with them once you die. It is not a complete erase, but close enough.

For me, I am not worried too much!

My two paise 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The presence of radioactive gases such as radon and thoron in the off-gas streams of the Thorium and Uranium Processing Facilities (UPF). Serious questions have been raised about the need...
Quote: Another triumph of human knowledge: The most complete geologic mapping yet of an entirely different planet. Scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey said this week that they've finished humanity's...
What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? The Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2015 is an entrance exam to be taken by graduate engineers who want to work under...
Quote Google’s founders may have recently downplayed the high tech giant’s healthcare plans. But a new partnership with Novartis, announced Tuesday, shows that Google is pretty serious when it comes...
We've been searching for a payment gateway that can accept credit cards and other forms of payments (especially in India, like net-banking). The best option so far (with my limited...