1. T-Shirt Registrations Have Closed! Thank You!
  2. Attend Free Webinar On Cyber Security Click For Details!

What happens to mobile phones with non-replaceable battery ?

Discussion in 'The Café - General Discussions On Everything' started by Sanyam Khurana, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Sanyam Khurana

Sanyam Khurana Star

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    I want to know, if the battery of some non-replaceable type phone has a defect (considering out of warranty product), then what happens to the phone?

Does it really becomes a throw away brick?

or there is any other technical way around.

As far as I've read, the non-replaceable battery, saves cost of circuitry by removing the extra layer needed for motherboard and battery.

Thus the width of the phone also reduces.

Curious to know if it really becomes a brick if there's something wrong with the battery.
  2. lal

lal Moderator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    No way! With a proper screw driver, the phone can be easily dis-assembled. Then the so called non-replaceable battery is at your disposal.And then, it is as simple as removing a 'replaceable' battery. Replace and fix things back. And, Bingo! you are good to press the power button again!
  3. Sanyam Khurana

Sanyam Khurana Star

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    Are batteries available for the non-replaceable "battery" phones?

Then what's the use of so called non-replaceable "battery" phones, I know they reduce circuitry cost, but then they can be replaced too.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  4. lal

lal Moderator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Why would anyone design a 20K or more worth phone to dispose off when the battery dies?

Actually it is not just 'non-replaceable' battery. But, it is actually said 'not user replaceable' battery.

It isn't like the battery is built in to the phone internals. Rather, it still is a seperate module. Either souldered or plugged in. We can replace it easily once the phone is dismantled. And yes, those batteries are available locally and online.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sanyam Khurana

Sanyam Khurana Star

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    Ok, thanks for clearing up :)
  6. Kaustubh Katdare

Kaustubh Katdare Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Interesting observation. I think the major problem is to have a replacement battery. I've never asked the service center folks whether they have the spare batteries for the phones that don't have user replaceable batteries. I think most of the modern batteries last a few 1-1.5 thousand recharge cycles which means a lifespan of about ~3-5 years.

And it makes sense for the handset makers. In ~3 years, the technology will advance so much that your phone will look Jurassic.

I'd love to know whether anyone here got a replacement for the non-removable battery in their phone.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lal

lal Moderator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    *offtopic*
    If some one is to carry a replacement battery all around, I'd say it is far better to carry a portable charger instead. It would allow the phone/gadget to be recharged multiple times when compared to swaping with another replaceable battery.
    */offtopic*
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ankita Katdare

Ankita Katdare Moderator

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    I agree with all the points @lal has shared here.

Here are my 2 cents though -
    In some phones with a non-replaceable battery, it also means lack of micro SD card slot too (HTC One doesn’t have a microSD card slot).

There are other obvious disadvantages as well -

1. Users have to depend on the manufacturer to replace the battery if the performance is lowered in certain case. (the good old screw-driver way looks find too, but most won't opt for it I guess.)

2. If an user's phone freezes, with a removable battery he/she can just take the battery out and put it back. The pretty hard-reset has worked for so many people for ages!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Sanyam Khurana

Sanyam Khurana Star

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    But non-replaceable battery phones provide a reset button too.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lal

lal Moderator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Actually, there are ways to reset the phone even without taking off the battery. For instance, my Nokia N9 can be reset in any event of hang by pressing the power button for 8 seconds. I guess all phones without removable battery have an option to do the same.
    • Like Like x 1