What are algorithms?

Can any one tell what are algorithms?

Replies

• Alok mishra
    Alok mishra
    Algorithm are means of representing step by step procedure of doing any task. One can write steps in the form of simple English like sentences ,though pseudocodes are also used to write computational Algorithms.
    one can understand pseudocodes as representation of information not completely in English like sentences and also not completely in programing way,as follows,
    step 1. do i = 1 to 100
    set print_number to true
    if i is divisible by 3
    print "Fizz"
    set print_number to false
  • Vinodhini.V
    Vinodhini.V
    Algorithm are the Finite steps of instruction for solving problems,and it is the user understandable form of the entire code
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Aadit Kapoor
    Can any one tell what are algorithms?
    Algorithms or Algos are just "Steps" to solve a given problem.

It's " Series of Sequential Steps " to find solution of a problem.

Always remember, that in an algo, you can execute each step in finite no of times, and then after execution of the algo, you must reach the solution of the problem.

They are highly used by programmers, actually they first form algos (or steps) on how to solve a given problem and then that algo can be expressed as a flow chart (mainly to represent the idea of problem solving more graphically) , DFD (Data Flow Diagrams) and last but not the least, Programs (can be in any language)

Eg.

if you need to find even no and print it on the screen from 1 to say the number 10.

Then your algo would be something like this

1) Execute till step 3 till i <=10

2) if ( i % 2 == 0) { basically check if the number when divided by 2 leaves remainder as 0 ie it's even }

3) Print i

4) END

So, this is an algo, which can be represented as a program in any language.

I hope It's clear.

For more details, go to Algorithm
  • Aadit Kapoor
    Aadit Kapoor
    Thanks guys!
    Helped alot
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Alok mishra
    Algorithm are means of representing step by step procedure of doing any task. One can write steps in the form of simple English like sentences ,though pseudocodes are also used to write computational Algorithms.
    one can understand pseudocodes as representation of information not completely in English like sentences and also not completely in programing way,as follows,
    step 1. do i = 1 to 100
    set print_number to true
    if i is divisible by 3
    print "Fizz"
    set print_number to false
    Yes i agree that tbe algirithms are the fine steps for the task procedures but what about the pseudocodes pls explain.
  • Alok mishra
    Alok mishra
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Yes i agree that tbe algirithms are the fine steps for the task procedures but what about the pseudocodes pls explain.
    pseudocodes are nothing but representation of information in a different but understandable form . Like i have given an example in my previous reply ,that is in pseudocode .you also can write that in the form of a sentence , but pseudocodes are prefered and also considered an effective way of writing algorithms.
    (a+b)^n ,this is in pseudocode ,you can also covey it as 'multiply (a+b) n times' .
  • Vinodhini.V
    Vinodhini.V
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Pseudo means False, its a False code rather than the actual code, designed for sketching out the structure of the program before the actual coding takes place.It omits unnecessary steps and includes only the action to be executed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Simmtronics Semiconductor Ltd., an Indian multinational computer technology company that is known best for manufacturing economical 3G Tablets with calling function and G-Sensor as well as for bringing India's First...
I shall try out this when (and a BIG IF) I graduate to a smart phone. So far have been too smart to be conned into getting one. https://www.instructables.com/id/10-Smartphone-to-digital-microscope-conversion/?ALLSTEPS
Guys we have had so many mobile reviews from local market holders like Micromax Karbonn and some top shot like Samsung, Nokia, Sony, LG and many more One feature that...
Can sensors which were mainly used in Smartphone’s combine to form a good suspension system? Accelerometer sensor, gyroscope sensor are one of the mostly used sensors in today’s smart phone’s...
A very good news for Java os operated mobile users. Many of you would have longed for playing a game like temple run or a subway surfers or a similar...