WEIGHT OF THE EXHAUST GAS IN 4 ST PETROL ENGINE

Would anybody please specify me the relevant formula to calculate the weight of exhaust gas for obtaining the heat balancing of a 4 stroke petrol engine.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Assuming complete combustion, the exhaust gas will be all carbon dioxide, water as steam and nitrogen associated with the air.
    Again assuming that petrol is all Octane (which is not true) this applies:
    Quote: Molecular weights of the above reagents are C8H18 114, O2 32, CO2 44, H2O 18; therefore 1 kg of fuel reacts with 3.51 kg of oxygen to produce 3.09 kg of carbon dioxide and 1.42 kg of water. Endquote
    In addition to the above is (approximately) 12 kg of Nitrogen and other inert gases.
    So,
    Per kg of fuel burnt the weight of exhaust gas will be about 17.32 kg.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare .. Hi Ankita, I have got CDAC Hyd. for the Feb. 2015 batch. Can you please tell me the status of placement for the DAC ? I am...
I am BE electrical and electronics graduate.Kindly provide details about courses which is trending currently to build a career.
Details about electrical quantity survaying and its oppertunities. Frm where i can get trained as electrical quantity survayor.(institutes in india)
You know the feeling – you select a major, take classes, complete semesters – only to realize later this is not what you like or want to do. Not only...
Hi Friends, I just thought of a ddos attack on cloud networks. Is it possible to do. If Yes, then how is it done.