WeChat App Now Features 1 GB Free Cloud Storage, All Set To Compete Whatsapp & BBM

WeChat the messaging app platform managed by a Chinese company - Tencent, has recently introduced 1 GB of free cloud storage for its users. This means WeChat users will never have to face from the "Memory Full, Delete some messages to continue.." problem. To avail this option, users can click on the “Favorite” option [see image below] and save any text, media file i.e. images, audio or video shared by your friends directly on the cloud. You can even later access the files stored in the WeChat cloud from multiple other devices. The WeChat app is currently available on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Nokia, Blackberry and even PCs.

Ready to take on its rivals - the likes of Whatsapp and Blackberry Messenger (BBM), the WeChat app developers want more and more people in India to start using WeChat. BBM offers Dropbox (cloud storage) integration. It is interesting to note that the WeChat app was the second most downloaded iOS app in India in 2013.

wechat-app-1gb-cloud-storage
If you are a new user of the WeChat, you can note that the app offers - voice calls as well as video calls, group chats and animated smileys, real walkie talkie mode with up to 40 friends and message alerts with push notifications. Some of the interesting features in its video call option are - Look Around, Drift Bottle and Shake.

What do you have to say about that? Are you read to make the shift from Whatsapp to WeChat? Let us know in comments.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Off-late WeChat is already gaining some popularity. I love the animated smiles of the App. A freebie of 1GB Cloud storage should works as a welcome move for the messaging app. However, would that be enough for a user to eave WhatsApp behind, ummm, that's tougher.

Probably the reason is we do not have all the friends and known on WeChat as primarily everyone uses the WhatsApp as messaging app.

Almost all the features that are available on WeChat, are already available at WhatsApp, so why someone will leave WhatsApp? The WeChat folks needs to think something out of the box to beat WhatsApp and BBM.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    100% correct.Initially i tried we chat but at that time there were very few wechat using friends .Then as time elapses, whatsapp users become more prominent due to its simple interface and features.I had tried hike, whatsapp, wechat but what i noticed was really confusing.Hike seems to be more advanced with fully loaded features and recharge redemption offers, etc but whatsapp has simple UI which always attract people.

People doesnt want to install and use multiple chat apps .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This part of our Summer Internships For Engineers: The Definitive Guide focuses on how to apply for internship when you find your dream one. So far, we've had an overview...
TVS Motors has finally unveiled the TVS Star City+ bike and offered at a price tag of Rs. 44,000 (ex-showroom, Delhi). The Star City Plus has been the much-talked about...
what is mean by over all transmission efficiency
(Sent by Purushotthama)
Hi, I would like to know if there are any methods that one can use to know whether a C code is parallelizable, and the best way to parallelize it....