web.whatsapp.com : Access WhatsApp from Chrome

It's finally here! Fire up Google Chrome right now and head over to #-Link-Snipped-#. Please make sure that you have the latest [see update below] WhatsApp version installed on your smartphone. Scan the QR code and pair whatsapp on mobile with Google Chrome installed on your desktop or laptop! WhatsApp now gives you option to access all your messages right from within Chrome browser. Remember - all your messages will still reside on WhatsApp installed your phone. This means that you will have to keep your data connection or wi-fi of your phone ON to be able to send and receive messages.

The announcement comes from none other than WhatsApp's billionaire co-founder, #-Link-Snipped-#. We had predicted that WhatsApp For Desktop (Web Version) Might Be Soon On The Cards (Finally!) was actually in development several weeks ago. Koum posted on Facebook (the parent company of WhatsApp!) that millions of Whatsapp users will now be able to access all their messages right from their desktops and laptops via Chrome. Firefox has been left out for now.

iOS users should note that because of the restrictions Apple's platform has put in place, the WhatsApp access from Chrome does not work with iOS devices. So you won't be able to pair your WhatsApp running on iPhone with Chrome just yet. Hopefully Apple and Facebook folks will work out something to make the feature work with iOS as well.

web-whatsapp-com-desktop

The step to pair your phone with your desktop is quite simple. Here are the steps you all should note:-

1. Android Users: Open WhatsApp -> Head over to menu -> Select WhatsApp Web

2. Windows OS (Mobile): Open WhatsApp -> Go to menu -> Select WhatsApp Web

3. BB (Old) : Open WhatsApp -> Chats -> Menu (key) -> Select WhatsApp Web

4. BB 10 : Open WhatsApp -> Swipe down from the top -> Select WhatsApp Web

You should now scan the special QR code displayed on web.whatsapp.com. If the QR code does not work in the first go, you should refresh it and try again. You may also keep the checkbox that says 'Keep me signed in' checked if you wish to keep your phone and desktop paired. As mentioned above, this setup does not access the internet connection of your desktop. Your phone still needs to stay connected to Wi-Fi or have 3G/2G data connection on.

Will this be a game changer for WhatsApp? The answer could be a big yes. WhatsApp has been facing a stiff competition from rival messaging services and huge number of users have been asking for Desktop access for WhatsApp. There were several rumours in the past about a desktop version being worked on; but it's only that WhatsApp has made an official announcement of the feature.

Update: Grabbed a screenshot from engadget that shows how the web-interface for whatsapp looks like -

whatsappfb

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: WhatsApp Version: 2.11.498 and 2.11.476 running on Android do not have the option to scan the QR code.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: It turns out that WhatsApp will be rolling out a new version on Google Play and other stores. Google Play India store has the latest version 2.11.498 as of now; which does NOT have the option to scan the QR code. Few of the BB users were able to access the WhatsApp Web option through menu. If anyone's got an update on this; please share it via comment below.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Turns out that there's not facility in Chrome (desktop version) to add attachments from computer to whatsapp. I think this is a well thought feature - because otherwise it'd have turned the messenger into a spam powerhouse. It could also mean lot of inconvenience. You'll have to transfer your photos, videos and audio to your phone first to be able to share those with your friends or groups.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Installing the app directly from #-Link-Snipped-# may work!

I just tired downloading the latest version of the app that is 2.11.491 from #-Link-Snipped-# and the app refused to update my existing app. Would love to know if anyone's done a fresh install of the app. It seems to have worked for some of the people. Anyone feeling little adventurous? 😀
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    Looks like the attachment uploading has been enabled in the desktop.

Screenshot from 2015-01-22 06:48:55
    Plus, I also got the app updated from Play Store itself.
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    Emoji aren't visible in the notification box. Using Ubuntu 14.04.
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    Oh, so it needs to be in sync with phone. What rubbish! What about those who still use WhatsApp on Symbian?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jason Estibeiro
    Emoji aren't visible in the notification box. Using Ubuntu 14.04.
    That is because no Linux distros supports emoji out of box. In my distro (openSUSE 13.2) it does shows in notification panel though.
    sudo apt-get install ttf-ancient-fonts
    This should fix it. I would like to add that these emojis doesn't look same as it look in Whatsapp on Android.
    Still something is better than that damn question mark, right ?
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    Abhishek Rawal
    That is because no Linux distros supports emoji out of box. In my distro (openSUSE 13.2) it does shows in notification panel though.
    sudo apt-get install ttf-ancient-fonts
    This should fix it. I would like to add that these emojis doesn't look same as it look in Whatsapp on Android.
    Still something is better than that damn question mark, right ?
    Will give it a try today evening. Thanks! 👍
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Bring the latest version for Android in India already. All the hullabaloo and then not able to access it is a big turn off.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    On my Galaxy Note - I stil see the same old version. I'm assuming that the app update rollout is regional. There are few users who said that the web version feature will automatically be updated in the current version (time bound update?) and there's no need to update your app. I'm curious to see if specific models of the phones are getting the update before others. Not sure how Google Play Works.

#-Link-Snipped-# - Yeah - they do seem to have the attachments option enabled. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. For once, it makes sure that sharing photos and videos is super convenient. But at the same time, expect people to dump in all their spammy content to whatsapp group. I'm a part of a group where almost every member is super-active and despite each one of them typing stuff on mobile - I get flooded by messages. With the Chrome version in place - I'm not sure if the messaging count is going to grow 2x or 4x!

Rival apps like Telegram have been allowing such features for quite some time now; but the main problem for Telegram and other similar apps is that not all of your regular group members and other contacts have it installed. I've tried installing Telegram; but found going back to WhatsApp. If whatsapp starts eating my time - I think it'll be time to say goodbye to whatsapp as well. Everything looks like a cycle: things peak out and then start to fall off.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Alright the update is here for me on Play Store! Just installed the latest one and could access Whatsapp Web.
    Here's what it looks like on the top left corner of Google Chrome on the Whatsapp Web page -

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 9.20.32 AM
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Just tried it's great but asking to have active internet connection in mobile. But still look good. 👍
    I am on LAN computer and 3G phone and it's Fast as it can be.
    Just make the browser independent and RIP - Other messaging system 😁

Edits:
    1. Attachment is available for photo and camera.
    2. I am on Ubuntu 14.04, chrome and emoji is supporting. Sorry, I thought browser emoji are not available😖
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Most awaited move from whatsapp !
    #-Link-Snipped-# thanks for the Updates 👍
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Okay, it's working. Notifications are fine on Fedora 20. But seriously? It's still going to use my phone's data, why, God why?!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pensu
    Okay, it's working. Notifications are fine on Fedora 20. But seriously? It's still going to use my phone's data, why, God why?!
    That's the strategy - because whatsapp intends to remain a mobile-only company. I think it's their founders vision to keep the things that way because otherwise they'd have launched a web-client that doesn't require your phone to sync; long time ago. I'm curious to know how do other messaging apps with similar functionality work? Have they been spammy? Has anyone tried using it to handle bigger groups (>50 people)?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would avoid using Whatsapp on desktop/workstation until they open source their chrome extension.
    Heaven knows what they're stealing 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would avoid using Whatsapp on desktop/workstation until they open source their chrome extension.
    Heaven knows what they're stealing 😁
    They don't need to steal anything. They are Facebook. They already know what you had for your breakfast. There's nothing left to hide. Wake up.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They don't need to steal anything. They are Facebook. They already know what you had for your breakfast. There's nothing left to hide. Wake up.
    They don't 'cuz its been 3.5 years since I deactivated FB. I am on tor relay with RU gateway from like 6-7months. I am trying my best to stay away from any kind of snooping.
    Now my next step is to stop using Google services even in my android.
  • Sanjeev Purohit
    Sanjeev Purohit
    Was struggling with the same issue but finally got it working by un-installing and re-installing the app manually. If you intend to do the same, please backup your conversations.. 😀
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    an another feauture of baning whatsapp plus users is also made available
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Okay, so I don't think web version has the ability to forward a msg, plus I don't see the info button, though blue ticks are still here!
  • vimo
    vimo
    Hey.
    My Android has the newest version of WhatsUp and I can see the Whatsup Web menu in it. but for some reason can't QR the code inside it. no QR reader is turned on there inside WhatsApp, what to do?
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I can confirm that WhatsApp for web is working for Windows Phone. The updated version of the app, 2.11.634.0 was released yesterday and once you get the updated version you automatically see the Whatsapp for web option in the menu.
    For me though, the service is a double edged sword. While you get the advantages to desktop keyboard, the app is not standalone and it is beamed on to the screen via your phone's internet connection. Windows Phone users may have experienced the same mode of operation in apps like Lumia Beamer and Photo Beamer.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Better late than never I guess. Had relied on Whatsapp to coordinate with network operations, clients and partners. I think my thumbs have gone numb after sending thousands of messages (current count of 12k++). The file attachment feature is great too, plus the desktop notifications.

A bit disappointed that it needs to sync with the phone, but at least this is a native solution that having to use a workaround with Bluestacks. Smooth running.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Telegram has been providing these features and they already support larger groups (with 200) people. I think it's just about time that people will realise that the features they want from messaging app are already being provided by rivals. It's just the sheer popularity of whatsapp and reluctance of people to switch to new platform is what's working in their favor.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I am using chrome
    but i am not able to scan the qr code. what was the real reason behind this. i use samsung galaxy young, connected to laptop and usb teathered it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    So most of the android apps (which doesn't rely on Google Play Services) are running nice using chromeos-apk/archon.md at master · vladikoff/chromeos-apk · GitHub . We need little bit of more hacking into this to be able to use all android apps on desktop.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I just tried web.whatsapp.com; It is wonderful start.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It's been two weeks. Is anyone around here using WhatsApp web regularly? I know I haven't accessed it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've been experimenting with web.whatsapp.com but I'd rather prefer a native app that runs on my os and not in my browser. I think if Telegram can do it, whatsapp should do it as well. The only use of web version of whatsapp I've found so far is that it allows me to type longer messages easily and also makes it easy to attach photos on desktop to my messages. Other than that - I can't see any real use of it.

I just hope the guys will roll out new features and hopefully a desktop client. WhatsApp has called itself a 'mobile company' but they may change their focus under the new leadership at Facebook.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't use much of Whatsapp but whenever I am at home and chat with friends, I choose desktop version.
    - No need to pick up phone after every ping and chatting is faster.
    - Typing is really easy
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Where is this web.whatsapp saving image that we download?
    Is there any way to stop auto download like we have on mobile version?

Any idea #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Whatsapp client for desktop, bye bye Chrome.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone here using web.whatsapp.com for accessing group chats? I have been using it quite often when I am away from my smartphone. I wish they didn't make it mandatory to keep WiFi running on the phone to be able to access whatsapp on web.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I use it for group chat. Not very extensive. It works pretty well.
    I agree, They should give option have feature to put mobile offline and use web version only.
  • Basheer Almrzoki
    Basheer Almrzoki

????????????

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Sometimes for sharing a file with an office group or just simple travel plan screenshots with friend circle, it is just so convenient to use Whatsapp For Web on my desktop. I use it more often than not to share links to videos with family from YouTube or Vimeo. Also, the ease of typing a longer message on your physical desktop keyboard instead of the small keypad on mobile can't be ignored.

The feature to use Whatsapp on Chrome has been nothing but an absolute blessing. Anyone else use Whatsapp from your desktop browser?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

The web.whatsapp.com link is likely to be replaced with the native apps that WhatsApp has been providing. Because the features available on the native apps aren't available on the web version of whatsapp. It could be that Facebook folks are deliberately worsening the experience of logging-in to the web.whatsapp.com portal. 

You never know what FB will do. We just have to deal with it.

• Jasmine SA
    Jasmine SA

Thank you. I did not know they had web version of WhatsApp.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yes, they launched web.whatsapp because of the need from the users that they wanted a convenient way to make a conversation from their desktop. Not everyone is comfortable typing on  small real estate that the mobile phones offer. #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Aluminium-Copper–Magnesium alloys were known for their high strength and stiffness. In this study, effect of copper content on the mechanical properties of Al-Cu (binary) alloys...
Microsoft did a super-cool announcement yesterday. Called 'Hololens', the new wearable changes your reality to something that was earlier seen only in movies. It does it so well that you...
Quote: A Cambridge start-up believes its flexible solar panelling solution could fundamentally change the landscape of solar installation in the commercial sector. The Solar Cloth Company’s award winning flexible thin...
Quote: Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv.6) has been slow to impact microcontroller design; IPv.6 and the original IPv.4 are not directly compatible and dual-stack systems are unwieldy for many small...
Quote: Wearables have once again become a hot topic at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, which posted crowds as high as 160,000. From various Bluetooth devices,...