Web server vs. Application server

What is difference between web server and application server?

What i know is web server handles HTTP requests.It responds with static pages like HTML pages and can use other programs such as JSP,servlets,CGI,ASP etc to generate dynamic response.And application server handles business logic for use by client applications and supports various protocols including HTTP.
I have read that web server doesn't support multithreading.My other question is if web server doesn's support multithreading then how can it run servlets which are multithreaded programs?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    komputergeek
    What i know is web server handles HTTP requests.It responds with static pages like HTML pages and can use other programs such as JSP,servlets,CGI,ASP etc to generate dynamic response.And application server handles business logic for use by client applications and supports various protocols including HTTP.
    Very true said. 😀

Q1: What is difference between web server and application server?
    A: Check the following link, if it can be of any help:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Q2: I have read that web server doesn't support multithreading.
    A: As to my knowledge a web server can support multithreading through socket programming. Please give the book's reference or link which says so.

Q3: My other question is if web server doesn's support multithreading then how can it run servlets which are multithreaded programs?
    A: Hope my second answer have answered your this question. FYI, Servlets are java programs that execute on server side of a web connection. Again,please give the book's reference or link which says "Servers are multi-threaded programs".
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Thanx a lot for help shalini.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    komputergeek
    Thanx a lot for help shalini.
    Hi komputergeek,

Did it all really help you? Anyways, You have not answered my questions which I asked while answering your questions.😉
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    I read about multithreading here : Application Server vs Web Server - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
    Still confused about servlets.If servelets are not multithreaded programs then how can they handle multiple client requests?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello there.... what is the meaning of "material orientation" or "bar orientation" in "Properties Icon"? me in confusing mode.....😕
How can we read HTTP response header using telnet? What are other methods to do the same (without using any website that displays response header)?
CEans, The latest Release Candidate (1) of Internet Explorer 8 is now available for download. Location: https://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/worldwide-sites.aspx PS: IE8 beta impressed me a lot. It runs faster than FF/Chrome on...
sir, i am a student of EEE and i need a live project on inverters or drives (ac/dc) .Its related circuit and brief description so please send as early as...
Is their something that with .net technology , can we do space relavant activities. can anyone let me know. for what this .net technology used