WeatherHome Project Aims At Using Home Computers To Power Climate Change Research

It is now possible to use your home computer to help in scientific research aimed at powering a climate model that can determine the reasons behind drought and high temperature. Researchers from University of Melbourne, University of Oxford, University of Tasmania, the UK Met Office, the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science and the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in New Zealand have come together on a project called WeatherHome - that can create climate model simulations to produce 3D representations of weather for 2013. The project helps the researchers in watching these evolve in real time too.

Australia-heat-map-2013

Highest daily maximum temperatures during the first two weeks of January 2013. Source: Australian Bureau of Meteorology
By donating the processing power of your computer, users from across the globe can contribute to this useful research work. The simulations for weather model shall be divided into two types. One for running simulation based on present atmospheric composition with greenhouse gas emissions, whereas the second one shall simulate the weather in a pre industrial world (without the greenhouse gases). After collating these results, the picture about the footprint of global warming will become clearer to the researchers, which in turn shall help prevent drastic implications.

All this shall be achieved via distributed computing and you will have to install the BIONIC software to do the needful. This is the first of many experiments that will use the #-Link-Snipped-# application to assess the impacts of climate change in Australia and New Zealand. For example - In the following video, you can watch a compilation of the role of climate change in recent Australian heat waves -

If you would like to contribute to the cause, you can get started Getting started | climateprediction.net. Do let us know what you think of the project in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I have been on BIONIC for years.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ground-breaking research at University of Buffalo has opened doors for engineers to new possibilities in field of thermal energy, solar power and energy conversions. The paper titled “Broadband absorption engineering...
Bajaj auto’s new Pulsar 150NS was caught on camera, while a road test was going on. Rumors about Pulsar 150NS and 180 NS were around since beginning of this year....
Dear CE Members i want to know the necessity of Balance Leak of line in BFP. i googled it and what i got to know is it is to avoid...
Hey all, I am thinking of doing a project on wind pumping system using VAWT. But can I combine water pumping and electricity generation using the same system? If so...
Audi TT has been turning heads since it's inception in 1998. Currently in its third generation development mode, the Audi TT will be up for sale later this year. A...