Wearable gadgets & tech - fad that will fade?

The quest of electronic companies and gadget makers for your pocket is crowded and now they want a total control of your wrist. It looks like a lot of companies are betting big on wearable gadgets and related technology. Do you think wearable gadgets and gizmos are a fad that will fade in the next few years?

In the recent times, we've seen a few such technologies - take 3D TVs for example. They were marked a lot but people simply rejected the product. Do you think smart watches and projects like Google Glass will not make it to mainstream computing and will die out in the next few months or years?

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The quest of electronic companies and gadget makers for your pocket is crowded and now they want a total control of your wrist. It looks like a lot of companies are betting big on wearable gadgets and related technology. Do you think wearable gadgets and gizmos are a fad that will fade in the next few years?

In the recent times, we've seen a few such technologies - take 3D TVs for example. They were marked a lot but people simply rejected the product. Do you think smart watches and projects like Google Glass will not make it to mainstream computing and will die out in the next few months or years?
    I've to disagree. Technology today is 'evolving' each day, there's no final stage of any product if you look at it from that perspective. We consumers are all part of the experience of a product getting popular in a cycle that can often 'pause' for a while but yet again regain it's part in global market once people realize the need for it! Often at these times, the products themselves evolve in technology while the design may vary based on the evergreen-ness of it.

For eg: 1. Old-school Sunglasses are now back in fashion.
    2. Russians have started using type-writers again (as discussed earlier #-Link-Snipped-#).

People just got into LCD at some places in India when the new LEDs have come to existence. Given some time to gain the necessary 'cash' to buy stuff, I think all forms of wearable technology will be appreciated. Smarty Rings, Smart watches and the Explorer edition of Google glass are all just the beginning of the next era of tech-revolution.

P.S.: I wouldn't just limit this thread to wearable-technology, it implies to everyday objects we use as well.

P.S.S.: One wearable gadget that we constantly use is the ear-phone. Then came the bluetooth headphone which people still use.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hideo Kojima, the man known in the gaming world as the creator of Metal Gear Solid series with legendary characters like Solid Snake and the Big Boss has announced that...
People often complain about the battery life of their smartphones. The best smartphones with the biggest batteries struggle to make it over three days on a single charge. Samsung’s idea...
hello guys i need your favour...plz let me know abou CMC-tcs subsidiary noida...is it good for 6 months industrial training of 8th semester of my b'tech...
Post :Costing & Design Engineer Expertise: Candidate should have knowledge of Strainers & Filters (Eg:“Y”,Conical,Basket,Duplex & ‘T” type). CAD qualified & able to submit drawings as per customer requirement. Pressure...
Looking at the performance of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Delhi elections, I believe we can very well treat it as a startup in the domain of politics. AAP began...