Vivaldi Browser Review and First Impressions

I'm writing this post from Vivaldi Browser - the brand new web browser launched by veteran software creator Jon von Tetzchner (ex CEO, Opera Software). Vivaldi is targeted at the users who have problems fitting all their open tabs on one screen. As of writing this article, the Windows, OSX and Linux flavours of the browser are ready (beta). Vivaldi team is already working on mobile and tablet based browser versions as well. Tetzchner is confident that Vivaldi will gather a few million users in short time and will make a profitable business.

Those who love minimalistic browsers will appreciate this new browser. There's a small window pane at the left that has features like 'Creating Notes', 'Adding Bookmarks', Vivaldi Mail (in development) and contacts. The browser relies on Google Search for in-browser searching facility.

My first impression: Vivaldi feels like Opera! There's not much to say at this time because most of its important features are still being developed. The CSS rendering has issues as I found that there are several places where the buttons didn't render well.

If you are out in the market looking to try a new browser - Vivaldi is worth a shot. Download Vivaldi from : Vivaldi Browser | Now with built-in Translate, Mail, and Calendar

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    First of all Thanks for the share #-Link-Snipped-# .

Kaustubh Katdare
    The CSS rendering has issues as I found that there are several places where the buttons didn't render well.
    Can you post screenshot here ? I found everything working perfectly. I hope to see native GTK+ integration in next iteration as UI looks lame, seriously ugly.

Biggie, can you post the screenshot vivaldi://about ,I would like to compare useragents with other OS. As I think this browser is based on Chromium like Opera for Linux is.
    Screenshot from 2015-01-27 19:40:13
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Already uninstalled and I won't install it again until they reach Gold. The buttons styling of buttons was missing at few places. Plus Google maps took forever to load. I doubt it had anything to do with my internet connection. Yeah - they have Chrome engine running under the hood. I however think they've got a few customisations to it (just a guess).
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Plus Google maps took forever to load. I doubt it had anything to do with my internet connection.
    I can confirm that Google Maps is working fine.

Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah - they have Chrome engine running under the hood. I however think they've got a few customisations to it (just a guess).
    I was expecting new engine. ☕
  • lal
    lal
    Chrome engine! Those are flooding these days 😁 I honestly wished to see Opera's original engine stay alive. But, they dropped it and fitted the Chrome! Even many other browsers are choosing the Chrome engine. A little bit disappointed there.

I some how don't feel it to be as light as many suggest, especially on very low end machines. It is smooth when you have quite decent bit of resources to share. Well, no popular modern browser seem to win for that matter.

I use the portable 'non Chrome' version of Slimjet browser or the old Opera and Firefox versions when the deal is to browse on quite old machines. I have to do that some what often too. A pain in the rear!
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Just downloaded (for me, Chrome is not allowing me to download Vivaldi, so had to download using FF).

I found that new browser's page loading performance is better than others; start-up time for browser is quicker; a New UI is refreshing to eyes; CE site looks great on this.

Vivaldi

Some make overs and bug fixes are required.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anyone still following Vivaldi ? 'Cuz I still am! and the UI is looking nice now, especially dark theme. (I used to hate the UI of Vivaldi at beginning)
    zzzz1

Will keep updating new features!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good! I uninstalled it and switched back to Chrome/Safari/Firefox combo. Will give it a try once they advance a few versions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Here,In this project used to reduce the networking traffic with the users.To overcome this i used the new technique in networking to reduce traffic called...
After the 2014 launch of its Chromebook in India, Acer has today announced the launch of Acer Aspire R13 as its first unveil of the year in India. The product...
Yes I'm applying for IES 2015. I am a mechanical engineering graduate and 2014 passout. I got confused when seeing UPSC exam schedule. There is ISS/IES exam and it's notification...
Project Abstract / Summary : The purpose of this section is to provide the reader with general, background information about the software “Online Result automation system”. The Main objective of...
Launched with an aim to boost Moon exploration, the Google Lunar XPRIZE is designed to inspire enthusiast pioneers to help develop robotic space transport on a budget. With the deadline...