Viber, WhatsApp, WeChat which one is the best?

I like doing chat over mobile, using chat applications.
In past I have used- WhatsApp, WeChat, Skype, Viber

Other than these there are many apps in the market like Nimbuzz, Kik and few more to add on to list. Concept is same- identify friends on the basis of phone numbers. Connect yourself to internet and chat without spending a penny for messaging.

Personally, I did not find much difference in Viber / WhatsApp and WeChat, other than popularity of WhatsApp is more than others (At least I have more connections on WhatsApp).

What do you suggest?
Which one do you use? Do you see any difference, any suggestions which one is the best per you??

-CB

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The 'best' would obviously depend on the facilities required. I think most of the 'apps' are iterations of online web messengers adopted on the mobile phones in the form of apps.

Of all - WhatsApp rules because of the sheer community size it has. Almost 50% of my contact list is already on WhatsApp and that makes me want to use it more over the others. Plus the app works smoothly.

I'm yet to install Viber or WeChat - and unless they offer anything really exciting; I'd stick with WhatsApp.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm yet to install Viber or WeChat - and unless they offer anything really exciting; I'd stick with WhatsApp.

Even I agree that most of my contacts are on WhatsApp. But Believe me Viber is not lesser than WhatsApp (5% here and there) you will find all your friends on viber as well.

Viber
    Pros: A bit lighter app, look and feel
    Cons: lesser popular than WhatsAPp

WeChat
    Pros - Wonderuful Emoticons, voice Chat
    Cons - Manually Needs to add contacts, Very Bulky application (more than 25 MB)

-CB
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Well I am using all of these three and Viber and WeChat are far behind then Whatsapp.

Viber
    Pros: A bit lighter app, look and feel
    Compare to Whatsapp and WeChat? It's not lighter compare to Whatsapp.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Harshad Italiya
    Well I am using all of these three and Viber and WeChat are far behind then Whatsapp.
    In what sense you can say that Viber is far behind?
    Popularity?

Can you please elobrate any pros and cons that I couldn't notice?

-CB
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    crazyboy
    In what sense you can say that Viber is far behind?
    Popularity?

Can you please elobrate any pros and cons that I couldn't notice?

-CB
    Yes,
    I have just checked how many of my friends have installed Viber, Whatsapp and WeChat. I found most of them have Whatsapp and Viber but on Viber hardly get any reply.

I see people are using Viber mostly for calling as Whatsapp is not providing such facility. On another hand I found WeChat very good as we can communicate by voice message. But as you said it's main issue is we need to add contacts manually.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I use Viber, and its so good that I can call my cousin who is in philippines through my wifi connection!

I dont use other apps, Whatsapp I use it sometimes, but I am not a big fan of messaging everyone ๐Ÿ˜€
  • nishant arora
    nishant arora
    Whatsapp if you need a messenger, Viber if you wanna call. And ya don't forget skype! They're all cross platform apps, Viber and skype are even available on pc/mac!

What actually matters is the application that your contacts are using. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    To a mere mobile user interested in just chatting Whatsapp is the best

But if you want to have more interactive chats with your dear love go for others like We chat and stuff

But Based on the size of these apps

Whatsapp 2.10.748 10.41MB
    Viber 17.63 MB
    Skype 19.63 MB
    WeChat 3.20MB

So if you love more free space in your device go for wechat else What'sapp rules the lot
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    nishant arora
    Whatsapp if you need a messenger, Viber if you wanna call. And ya don't forget skype! They're all cross platform apps, Viber and skype are even available on pc/mac!

What actually matters is the application that your contacts are using. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Skype on mobile then make sure you have 3G connection. Skype is very bulky app for mobile. It takes too much time for login and logout if using 2G network.
  • nishant arora
    nishant arora
    Harshad Italiya
    Skype on mobile then make sure you have 3G connection. Skype is very bulky app for mobile. It takes too much time for login and logout if using 2G network.
    Not if you're set to automatically sign in. You're better off using Viber/Skype on 3G while Whatsapp runs just fine on 2G.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Most of my contact list is on WatsApp, so if want to have a conversation with someone, it's the way to go. Though I do like WeChat. And who needs Viber when I have skype?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yes, it's true that WhatsApp has more popularity, but if I have to pick one, I would pick up WeChat although I don't use any of them now much, but WeChat makes voice chatting smoother.

Cons of Viber are : - It's not a light app. Seriously.
    I don't feel like using it anymore just for a call feature and holding up so much memory.

plus, we chat make texting and voice chatting much smoother when compared to WhatsApp.

But I think people need to shift to WeChat from WhatsApp ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Now a days I see Whatsapp group is growing more and more. Wechat is also providing such facility. Only chance for Wechat is if Whatsapp is going to charge people for application.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Watsapp does charge, though its after an year. And 55 rupees an year isn't that much. I guess the main reason behind success of watsapp is the number of users. Same case with FB and Google +!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am not a guy who loves chatting via messages. Face-to-Face talk > Chatting from phones!
    However, coming to topic : I have used only two Apps from which you mentioned, Viber & Whatsapp.
    And, I found Whatsapp better than Viber in GUI wise plus most of the people in my contact list, I see; are using whatsapp more than Viber.
    While TRAI is in aim to conquer us by charging 70 paise per text message, I honestly believe that $0.99 (well 60 INR now, maybe 65 INR within few months) is not bad at all for one whole year!
    But question arises, are there any hidden charges too in Whatsapp ?

For now, my vote goes to Whatsapp.
    The Social networking websites like FB,Twitter,etc. are too over-rated & many users are switching to quora or anyother new websites, On the other end, popularity of Whatsapp is increasing.So I think that whatsapp can kill FB & can make Mark Zuckerberg sweat ๐Ÿ˜ณ
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I would any day chose whatsapp over viber or wechat. The main reason of the same is whatsapp being more sleek, compact and user friendly when compared to wechat or any other ones that I have used that fall in the same category. Same is the case when few years back a huge number of Indian users moved from Orkut to Facebook because Facebook is compact and user friendly..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The ministry of external affairs, India would soon say 'There's an app for that'. The MEA is getting ready to embrace the app-world with arms wide open and has promised...
Apple Inc. has now brought the new Macbook Air powered by Intel's 4th generation Haswell processor in India. Last month, the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2013 witnessed the unveiling of...
India's first fast breeder reactor (PFBR) at Kalpakkam in Tamil Nadu is the first ever commercial fast breeder nuclear reactor currently under its final stages of construction. The Hindu reports...
i have completed my B-Tech from ECE and i got 6 to 7 months free before i get my call letter..so i am thinking of doing a project on my...
Google Science Fair 2013 is home to very innovative projects developed by young, high-school students from over 200 countries. One of the interesting projects that got into the final rounds...