VGA v/s megapixel

hello....can anyone of u please tell me that--What is the difference between 640X480 VGA and 1 megapixel?

Replies

• niraj.kumar
    niraj.kumar
    Megapixel matters when you want to take a large picture ... I mean picture of sunset or any lake .....

For the picture which is taken from short distance .... it doesnt matter most .... So if you are are photographer you should take a high mega pixel camera ..... and optical zoom matters most
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    Why dont you multiply 640 and 480. And how many pixels do you think there are in 1 Megapixel?

Start thinking at the root level and you'll be surprised at how simple the solutions are.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think the standard VGA can only simultaneously display 256 colours.

But in terms of resolution, then yea.. as ahmed said, the difference is the total number of pixels in the array.
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    VGA mode supports 16-bit colors as well.
  • Mrunalini
    Mrunalini
    VGA stands for "Video Graphics Array".
    VGA is 640x480.. or basically .5 MP.

So 1MP is always better that a VGA.. 😀
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    bayazidahmed
    VGA mode supports 16-bit colors as well.
    Oh, isnt it SVGA and XGA and onwards that could display the 16-bit colour palette?
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    The VGA supports both All Points Addressable graphics modes, and alphanumeric text modes. Standard graphics modes are
    640×480 in 16 colors
    640×350 in 16 colors
    320×200 in 16 colors
    320×200 in 256 colors (Mode 13h)
    As well as the standard modes, VGA can be configured to emulate many of the modes of its predecessors (EGA, CGA, and MDA).

@Mrunalini: It comes to 0.3 MP. SVGA comes close to 0.5 MP

Source: Vga
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    So, its either 16 (4 bit) or 256 (8 bit) colours simultaneously right? a 16 bit palette, which you mentioned before, consists of 65,536 colours 😉 So slight confusion there.
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    Yup! I should have said 16 colors onl. The -bit part was extra.
  • Deathwatch
    Deathwatch
    Basically the more megapixels you have the greater detail you can get when enlarging the image however having a camera with a 10mp rating over one with 5mp doesn't necessarily mean you will get a better picture as this is also decided on the Lens and the CCD quality of the camera.

I prefer to go for a camera with a half decent lens that way the picture will be nice and clear and in focus (a lot of cheaper smaller pocket sized cameras have tiny lenses but boast 10mp but pic quality suffers).

If it is quality you want and money isn't an issue then a digital SLR camera is the way to go.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

========================================================================= Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC 2009) CALL FOR PAPERS Wuhan, China March 28-30, 2009 ========================================================================= This conference is sponsored by IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES)...
😎 hi friends, i'm rajesh doing my computer science and engineering. i need to know the basic idea to do a project.i need some websites to update my knowledge abt...
Using System.Xml namespace and its classes in vb.net, Is there a way to work with textboxes , submitting buttons etc in an xml page? like putting/streaming data into a textbox...
This is absolutely shocking! As reported here - Star Majha - Discussion Board , Saroj Kumar Bramhanand Nayar (26), an employee of Tech Mahindra, a Pune based software company committed...
Does anyone here have any experience building circuitry for electrochemical cells? I've got a rather expansive problem with my circuit, or more appropriately, a series of IC's I've been using....