Venus, The Portable Washing Machine From India Costs Only Rs. 1500

Vimbas Navrachana, a startup from Mumbai, India is on a mission of letting every household in India have its own portable washing machine. The regular washing machines available in the markets have two major drawbacks: they occupy a whole lot of space in the homes and are are not affordable. Piyush Agarwala and his team have addressed these problems with 'Venus' - the super tiny washing machine that does the washing right in the bucket and costs only Rs. 1500 (~$25). Awesome, right?

Venus-Portable-Waching-Machine

The Venus washing machine functions like an electric hand blender. It's small enough to fit in a backpack and is capable of washing about 4-5 clothes in a bucket with astonishing results. The Venus does the job in about 4-5 minutes and is ideal for those students living in hostels and bachelors as well. The machine operates on 110/230 Volts and consumes 350 W power. It's totally lightweight at about 2.5 Kg and measures 10x15x42 cm. The manufacturers advise the tiny washing machine to be used for ~30 minutes every day.

The next plan for the Venus is to make it battery operated and the team is already working on it. Mass production of the Venus washing machine will bring the cost down so that it can be made available to everyone who cannot afford a regular washing machine. The project's currently looking to raise about $50,000 on IndiGoGo and at the time of writing this article, it's already managed to raise $1250 from 28 funders. Do check out the information on the source link below.

Source: UNIQUE - BUCKET MOUNTED MINI WASHING MACHINE | Indiegogo

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Good concept. I hope that the design takes care to ensure safe operation in the immersed condition. It may happen that the entire gadget gets dunked in detergent water. Detergent will reduce surface tension and pose seal leak issues.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Awesome minds of India!!!
    great concept- minimal size + cheap and affordable
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Must forward this link to all the engineering students staying in hostels and IT professionals who are bachelors. 😁
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why only bachelors? The wives are all washerwomen are they?
    What about girl students?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    Why only bachelors? The wives are all washerwomen are they?
    What about girl students?
    I used bachelors without being gender-specific. So, what's the word - bachelors and bachelorettes. 😁
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Great concept, probably a bigger but closed bucket would better for safety.

A.V.Ramani
    The wives are all washerwomen are they?
    No sir, probably she meant husband are all washerman 😘😘, (Ref- Special Chhabbis movie).[/QUOTE]
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Not sure how effective this would be for following:
    1. Quality of Wash
    2. It is just washing, rinse and spin us still needs to be done manually. So is this actually helping in great way?
    3. As #-Link-Snipped-# sir rightly pointed out what about safe and security of this.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    "It is just washing, rinse and spin us still needs to be done manually. So is this actually helping in great way?"
    Rajni, you are right. What has to be done is to do two three rinses using the same technique. However, time, space, one more bucket and water consumed have to be estimated.
    Even then, the wringing out of excess water has to be done by hand.
    On a lighter vein, better do this before bath as one may get a bit messy after all that on a slippery floor.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If it can wash 3-4 clothes at a time; I'd assume that it consumes lesser water than regular washing machines. But #-Link-Snipped-# made correct observation that the machine will do only rubbing/washing. It does save a lot of efforts; but not all of it.
  • Piyush Agarwalla
    Piyush Agarwalla
    Hello Everyone, thanks for all your comments. Allow me to clear some doubts;
    1) This is NOT a replacement for a regular washing machine. It has been designed as an alternative to the latter which unfortunately is still out of the reach of millions of poor families around the world. As a result of this, women in such households are forced to wash clothes by hand. If you will notice, 99% of such women squat on the ground while washing. According to a survey carried out by Prof Hans Rosling, a Swedish medical doctor of International Health at Karolinska Institute in conjunction with UN Women, majority of these women develop either back, shoulder or hip pain problems after years of doing this almost daily. We all know that any medical condition in a poor family is akin to a curse since lack of money prevents proper medical treatment. Thus millions of poor women worldwide are suffering in silence and millions will suffer in future if more such devices are not made available at an affordable price. I am sure you will all agree that doing laundry is an inevitable daily chore.
    With this in mind, we are seeking funding to mass produce this machine - the only way to lower the cost...our target customers are not well to do people but poor women.

Now to few concerns voiced;
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Sir, please see our campaign page #-Link-Snipped-# We have imported a special space age spray from Russia. The effect of this spray can be seen on the video we have posted and this should allay your fears regarding electrical shock.

#-Link-Snipped-#: Yes, this is indeed an ideal device for people living alone. I am married and live in Mumbai. However, my production is Delhi based so I keep travelling between Mumbai & Delhi. When in Delhi, I stay in a rented studio apt and use the Venus to wash my clothes. An old lady from US has ordered 10 machines to gift during Thanksgiving to all the students in her family.

#-Link-Snipped-#: Yes, we recommend 25 liters bucket. But then Venus works without a problem with a 15 liter bucket as well. The wash load will be less in smaller buckets.

#-Link-Snipped-#: I hope I have addressed your concerns. As far as wash quality is concerned, my regular washer does not clean the dirt from my shirt's collar area. Venus does.

@#-Link-Snipped-#: It is important to note that clothing materials make a difference to the load that can be washed at a time. Terry towels, jeans etc are heavy clothing material and absorb a lot of water. This makes them heavy. While you may only be able to wash only 2 jeans shirt or trousers at a time, 5 to 6 lighter clothing such as cotton shirts can be accommodated in one wash. Undergarments are lightest and a full week’s load can be washed in a single run. The bucket size also affects the wash load. You can use Venus with a 15 liter bucket also but the number of clothes you can wash will be lower. Ideally, we recommend 25 liters bucket.

I hope to have addressed all raised concerns. Should you have more, feel free to write to me at #-Link-Snipped-#

I also urge everyone to go to our campaign page and see it in the entriety to understand our mission. We have a reward perk called "Gift Venus to a Needy". This is for those who do not have a need for such a device but would like to help a needy family get one. Thank you all.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there any way I can track all the links open on my network? Means if anyone is downloading movies etc?
With the advent of miniaturization, over the last few decades, our machines have become smaller and smaller. The computer scientists of our times have been successful so far in reducing...
We are on the top of human life. We are not ready to face any small difficulties in our dally life. Each day new company launch the sophisticated product for...
completed my mechanical engg. in 2011 from SOME engg. college with very bad acdemic performance....due to some reasons i could not join a job at that time..what are my chances...
Hi everryone, Myself Sandeep.Bavanasi, i am Master graduate from Advance Manufacturing Systems, looking for own Entrepreneur in and around Pune. Being Mechanical Engineer I Want to utilize my education principles...