Veebot Draws Your Blood More Accurately Than Your Doctor

Almost all of you might have gone through the painful procedure of getting your blood drawn for diagnostic tests. While in some tests a drop of blood is enough for a sample others require almost a vial of your blood and in these situations the medical professional has to find your vein and this is where the problem lies - He/she might not get the vein in the first try and has to give it another go. So to make this process an accurate one, a California based startup has come up with Veebot. The medical technician robot uses infrared light and ultrasound to get the best vein for extracting the blood and in its prototype stage has an accuracy of 83%. Let us now see how this robot works.

Veebot

The patient first has to insert his/her arm into the robot through its padded archway that has inflatable cuff which used to restrict the blood flow making the veins more prominent. Then a infrared light is used to illuminate the arm. The software then tries to match this view of the arm with the one that has been stored in its memory to locate the vein. Once the vein is located it is then examined with the help of ultrasound to make sure that enough blood is flowing through it before sticking in the needle. While the entire process is automatic, the machine still needs a human who has to attach vials to it.

Before proceeding for a clinical trial, the makers of Veebot want its accuracy rate to be increased to 90%. This technology immense potential in the medical industry and its inventor Richard Harris, a third-year undergraduate in Princeton’s mechanical engineering department estimates that his product has an estimated market of nine million dollars in the US alone.

To know more about the Veebot check out the VEEBOT SYSTEMS INC - Home and its coverage on #-Link-Snipped-# and Sit still, Veebot is trying to draw your blood | Digital Trends. Also do not forget to check out this video below.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Much needed invention Had this been in practise six years back I would not have felt so much pain every time I had to give my blood samples Nearly 17 in 2 days

Hope there is some new tech in processing blood more effectively next
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    While I'm tempted to trust the machine more than the doctor - I don't like the idea of putting my hand under the robotic arm with a needle 😕. Who knows some algorithm gets messed up and ...

The overall feeling would be similar to putting your finger under the needle of a sewing machine, I think. 😲
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well testing is not for us to have nightmares about

But still we trust machines in many places in our day today life in a few years we will have these machines replace doctors

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

anyone guide me with technical literature of how to make a UPS(Modified sine wave)?
Anyone have related material regarding testing and commissioning of grid stations? I hear S.Rao has writter books about it can anyone share it?
Sony and Panasonic have joined hands to develop 300GB capacity optical discs for personal / professional use by 2015. The two companies have signed an agreement for jointly developing this...
Japanese & European engineers have developed world's lightest and thinnest organic circuits, which they say could be used in a wide range of healthcare applications. These new ultrathin organic transistor...
IBM (NYSE: IBM) has found some super power in a new, high-performance PowerLinux server to cater to its clients working in Big Data, Cloud Computing and Analytics. The company has...