Upgrade RAM on $1099 (June 2014) iMac - You Can't!

Apple announced the cheaper versions of the popular desktop lineup 'iMac'. The 21" iMac was announced about $200 cheaper. The new price of the iMac (June 2014) is $1099 (21") and it comes with a much slower processor. It should do the job if you don't use it to play games or do some graphic intensive work. The real caveat is that the 8GB RAM it comes with is soldered on the board and you cannot upgrade it!

If you are planning on buying the new iMac thinking that you will upgrade the RAM afterwards, please save yourself from the unwanted surprise. At the same time, the the SSD can be upgraded to 256 GB.

If you are an enthusiastic DIYer, please be aware of the things you are losing out on by paying less for the new iMac. Most users should be all fine with 8GB of RAM though.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Except Games on that mediocre CPU who needs more RAM than 8 GB?
    and games on Apple desktop😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    Except Games on that mediocre CPU who needs more RAM than 8 GB?
    and games on Apple desktop😁
    Not a great fan of games anyway. I however think that the display is quite awesome. If your main use is business or Internet; it's great value for money. The world looks quite beautiful on the mac 😉
  • avii
    avii
    ^its very very difficult to explain how awesome is the screen of iMac or any Mac to a guy who never used/saw Mac.

In our work place, for any web development/design showcase work, we always used Windows. You know why? Every crappy font looks awesome in Mac, so it would be very difficult to decide. Not the same case with Windows 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can you think of a material that is lighter than air; so light that it can be called 'frozen smoke', but 10,000 more stronger than aerogel? Well, the researchers at...
Hellow, My name is rishi verma & i have done engineering in electronic tele comm. with 64% aggregate year 2013 and now i want to do short term course that...
The Wi-Fi alliance is already looking for the next standard in the wireless communications and it's time we look forward to the new 802.11ax standard, the successor to currently popular...
As we know in data bases Key Constraints is the most important concept. we can apply the key constraint either to column level or table level, but I want to...
First of all I would like to apologize for my poor English. I've completed my bachelors degree in electronics and communication. My interest are in the following areas: i. Communication(GSM,...