Upcoming Disney Movies' Characters Could Feature The Most Realistic Eyes Ever

Creating a photo realistic digital face is very difficult for any graphics designer. Well, there is a good news from researchers at Disney Research Zurich (DRZ). They have developed a new technique that will ease the pressure on the designing team. As we all know eyes of a human makes his/her face more lively and is one of the most important elements of the face. DRZ has developed a technique that will output a realistic eye to a digital character. Let's find out the approach used by these researchers.

The technique includes use of multiple cameras and varied lighting to capture the perfect picture of an eye. This perfect picture contains all details of an individual eye like texture of white sclera, the shape and refraction of the transparent cornea, coloring of the iris and deformation of pupil while it narrows and widens. Pascal Berard, a Ph.D student in computer graphics at DRZ and ETH Zurich shares that, generically modeled eyes may be sufficient for background character, but designing eyes for lead characters takes lots of man hours. He also claims that their technique will reduce those man hours and will provide an excellent output.

High-Quality-Capture-of-Eyes-Image

Disney research team including Derek Bradley, Maurizio Nitti, Thabo Beeler and Markus Gross demonstrated their technique and reconstructed nine different eyes from six different actors, highlighting the marked differences between them. These reconstructed eyes were differentiated on the basis of shape, colouring and iris deformation. Pascal and his team are going to present their incredible findings at SIGGRAPH Asia 2014, the ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques on 3-6 December holding at Shenzhen, China. Share your views on these findings in the comment section below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Pavan Kumar Kotnani
    Pavan Kumar Kotnani
    Characters are more lively than original..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anyone having IS 2490 Part 1?Kindly upload
There are numerous rumors around the next Samsung flagship. Obviously it’ll be the Galaxy S6, since it is very unlikely that Samsung will stop its successful Galaxy flagship series. A...
Are there any techfests in bangalore...this time???
What are the practical ways to get onsite opportunity from India while in an IT job? Let's explore five different ways to make this happen.
HELLO!Myself Sreejit Menon!!I am a 2014 B.E Graduate in electronics and telecommunication.I am currently working in a networking sector!!i have two options in front of me!!Either Cisco certifications or M.TECH...