University of Missouri Team Develop 3D Facial Imaging System To Detect Autism Earlier

A team of researchers from the College of Engineering at University of Missouri are working together to build an advanced 3D facial imaging & statistical analysis system that will help doctors in diagnosing Autism is children earlier than usual. If detected early, the treatment for Autism can be way more effective and lead to the best results. Taking forward the existing study of 2D imaging, the MU researchers will use this advanced system to take facial measurements in children with autism, results of which will act as the screening tool for young children and also help in determining the genetic cause of the disorder.

A system of cameras will be employed to photograph and generate 3D images of children’s faces so that the scientists could measure distances along the curvature of their face. This input will be fed to a statistical analysis method to find out the minute differences between autistic children and any normally developing child.

3D-facial-imaging-autism-detection-missouri-university

Judith Miles, a professor emerita of child health-genetics in the MU Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, who has been working on this project was the one to realize that children diagnosed with autism have similar facial characteristics. That could not be mere coincidence. The characteristics were in fact analogous to similarities observed among siblings. By creating a ‘fine-tuned map’ the researchers want to find if facial structures were indicators of autism symptoms and severity.

This research work is going to significantly help in the development of effective treatments and drug therapies for autism diagnosed children. Here's a video put together by University of Missourie to better understand the new system -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

fellow engineers i am privileged to be lecturing irrigation and drainage in a monotechnic in Nigeria. please i will love to have a 3D demonstration animation of the following 1....
OPPO R5 has been the talk of the tech town ever since it unveiling in October 2014. Proudly sporting the tag of world's slimmest smartphone, R5's India launch was declared...
Last year in August, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) was given the charge of managing the construction of Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) observatory by the...
Guess what? Read the Newspaper below first. Find something unusual? Yes, it's our CE T-Shirt worn by a Crazy Engineer who hasn't slept in years. @Rupam Das : Kudos Sir!!!
I want to start a new discussion about coaching classes for engineering students. I dont know if this topic is/was discussed earlier. (I am too lazy to go thru old...