Unique alternative treatment mechanism for chicken abattoir waste water

Project Abstract / Summary : The up heaving industrial activities in current scenario augmented the waste water discharged into the environment. Chicken Slaughterhouses are coming up more in number with regard to our increasing intake of chicken products. It is an industry which disposes waste water of heavy pollution potential in terms of BOD, COD, Turbidity, etc.This Project work is aimed at reducing the pollution characteristics of Chicken Slaughterhouse Waste water by using a green material – Moringa Oleifera(MO) Bark and Flowers. Bio-coagulants like MO are found to be very good agents in treating water. Of late, MO is gaining its popularity in treating various waste waters also. This study aims at using the barks and flowers of MO in treatment of highly polluting chicken slaughter house waste water.It is used in various forms- as powder, as solution and as activated carbon for treating Chicken Slaughterhouse Waste water. Although it was found to be very efficient in reduction of many objectionable parameters, few parameters are unaltered even after the treatment. In this project an idea is put forth in the direction of using MO bark and flowers in the treatment of chicken slaughterhouse waste water on due account of its antimicrobial and coagulating property. The parameters like turbidity, conductivity, iron as Fe, oil and grease, total nitrogen was observed to be reducing. The efficiency of reduction is different for different forms of MO bark and flowers.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : A slaughterhouse or meat works is a facility where animals are killed for consumption as food. Slaughtering animals on a large scale poses significant logistical problems and public health requirements and public aversion in many cultures influences the location of slaughterhouses. Typically 45–50% of the animal can be turned into edible products (meat).About 5-15% is waste, and the remaining 40–45% of the animal is turned into by-products such as leather, soaps, candles (tallow), and animal glue. Waste water disposal is the major problem being faced. In developing countries, like India presently, only about 10% of thewaste water generated is treated; the rest is discharged as it is into our water bodies. The most commonly faced problem in disposal of waste waters is their colour and turbidity.My project is an attempt to treat this waste water using bio coagulants. Instead of disposing this highly polluting waste water to drains etc-as done by most of the slaughtering industries, by treating it with bio coagulants we are able to reduce the harmful parameters in very cheaper cost.Scope:More information in the absorptive power of MO would help us to establish greater degree of accuracy on this matter. Therefore it is suggested that the adsorption isotherm studies of MO should be carried out as an extension for this work.

Project Highlights : This project is very useful for slaughtering houses as they actually dispose off this harmful waste water into near by drains which causes lot of odor nuisance and causes lot of health issues to the people.This waste water is very high in BOD,COD which when combined with domestic sewers increases the load on treatment plants and also since slaughter house waste water contains feathers,fats etc it may interfere or clog the sewer pipes,thus with the help of Moringa Oliefera we are able to reduce the harmful parameters like BOD,colour,turbidity to a great extend thus after treatment with such a good coagulant we can even dispose it off to municipal sewers.It is one of the best and cheapest way to treat slaughter house waste water.And it is very much needed for developing countries like India.

Project Category : Civil / Structural
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: REVA ITM
City: Bangalore
State: Karnataka
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hiii Sir, My name is Sourabh Singhai, I have done my B.tech(ET&T) in 2012, After that I was being with my father for 4 year, And now I want to...
Severe confinement of water by artificial means results in a completely different state that does not match with either of the well known fundamental physical states, namely solid, liquid, gases...
Huawei's new P9 Lite is a watered down version of P9; available at a cheaper price skipping out the dual-Leica (dual lens) camera setup. The smartphone will be available in...
At a press conference in New York, Acer announced the new Chromebook 14 for Work. As the name would suggest this laptop has been designed to appeal to businesses looking...
The MIT media lab has already captured the imagination of the world with its magical Femtosecond photography technology. Upgrading the previous technology, a group of researchers from the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München...