Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs Offer Up To 100GB Storage For 4K Resolution Movies

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has announced that it has finalised the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification and released a new logo that will accompany these discs. As the name suggests, these Ultra HD Blu-ray discs will deliver 4K (3840x2160) resolution content to users. These discs will also able to handle videos shot in high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate (up to 60fps). This means you will get an expanded colour range and not to mention high resolution imagery. BDA has also worked on bringing next generation object-based sound formats to these discs as well. This means if you are wealthy enough to have access to a Dolby X or Dolby Atmos based speaker setup you can experience more immersive audio experience as well.

UHD_BD_Logo

Since these Ultra HD Blu-ray discs have to store more data, they naturally have more storage space than standard Blu-ray discs. While single layer and dual layer Blu-ray discs can hold up 25 and 50GB of data respectively, Ultra HD Blu-ray discs can hold up to 66GB and 100GB of data on dual and triple layer discs respectively. Electronics manufacturers have been handed specifications to build players that shall be able to play these new Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. These players will be backward compatible with over 10000 standard Blu-ray titles presently in circulation.

While Ultra HD aka 4K has been with us since the last two years there wasn’t any way for us to access it via physical media. Digital streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon and YouTube have been the only way to view 4K resolution videos at home. The BDA has brought out these new discs to show the public that physical media is not dead yet in the era of internet streaming. To appease the streaming audience who are habituated in viewing content on their mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, the BDA is promising an optional digital bridge feature that will allow them to access supported formats of the content they have bought on Ultra HD Blu-ray discs on their devices.

For countries like India, where internet bandwidth is expensive and glitch-prone these Ultra HD Blu-ray discs come as a boon for people who want a reliable way to view Ultra HD content on their UHD TVs. The technology shall be licensed to the market beginning this summer and we can expect Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and players to arrive in stores by fall of 2015.

Source: Blu-ray Disc Association Completes Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Specification and Releases New Logo | Business Wire

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Years ago, when I heard about the BluRay disks, I thought they were the future. Unfortunately, the BDs never got the popularity they deserved. I'd even think that they were very ahead of the time. At the same time, I'm thinking UHD BDs are not going to be the CD's of yesterday. The electronics makers and the mobile companies want you to use the cloud for all your storage needs; because it means big bucks for them.

The only use case I see for these disks is the 4K movies in the countries where the Internet speeds aren't capable of delivering 4K content. UHD-BDs are going to be short lived, I'd predict.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As I m from core field of engineering, the biggest question is that if I opt software testing will that be future feasible ? After graduation I was preparing for...
Lenovo India is riding the high wave as it introduces its flagship smartphone called 'Lenovo A7000' in the country. Priced at Rs. 8999, this smartphone is truly a competitor to...
LogTera is a leading educational software development company based in San Jose, California. Co-founded by Rahul Jauhari and Shailesh Khare in the year 2013. LogTera's mission is to develop the...
The SEO aka Search Engine Optimization is an industry already. While there is huge amount of information available about SEO techniques, DOs and DONTs - many new blog owners or...
hai everyone, friends does anyone here knows about the details of Tekla structure course ? I want to know the details of it regarding career with that software.