UC Berkeley Engineers Develop Plasmon Laser Sensors To Replace Sniffer Dogs

For years the crime investigation departments across the world and the police have been using the sniffer dogs to detect bombs/explosives and what-not. The sniffer dogs' training is an expensive venture and the dogs could become tired. So now, much to the dog's rescue, a team of engineers from UC Berkeley is working on increasing the sensitivity of a light-based plasmon sensor so that they could be used to completely replace the sniffer dogs in the near future. The engineering team led by Xiang Zhang, UC Berkeley professor of mechanical engineering, tested the improved sensor with various kinds of explosives. Their results showed that the sensor could successfully detect the airborne chemicals at really minute concentrations.

What is now being called a major development in the plasmosensor tech, the new kind of sniffer sensors are better than the current bomb-screening methods our men employ. Even at the airports, swabs are used to check for explosive residue, but those require physical contact and have relatively low-sensitivity. The newly developed technology by the UC Berkeley engineers can enable a hand-held device detect the tiniest traces of vapors of explosives in the air with great accuracy. Other than bomb detection, this sensor can also be used to discover the unexploded land mines.

UC-Berekeley-engineers-bomb-detection

The engineers working on this project took advantage of the chemical content in the explosives such as DNT and TNT. The nitro-compounds present in these not only make the chemicals more explosive, but they are also electron deficient - which increases the interaction of the molecules with natural surface and defects on the semiconductor. The new sensor device thus detects the increased intensity in the light signal that occurs as a result of this interaction and is able to find the whiff coming from the explosives.

The new device is an upgradation upon the earlier work in plasmon lasers by Zhang’s lab that compensated for this light leakage by using reflectors to bounce the surface plasmons back and forth inside the sensor and using the optical gain from the semiconductor to amplify the light energy.

What are your thoughts on the newly developed Plasmon Laser Sensors that could one day replace the sniffer dogs? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Root
    Root
    I think less dogs will get burials with full military honors.

Joking apart, it could be a mixed bag.A presence of a vicious dog might unsettle any terrorist who is trying to smuggle his little 'boombag' across the check gates (Sorry for being gender biased. I hate the concept of 'female terrorist). Then, our little aspirant human mincemeats would have learned their lessons and adapted to behave normally if a sniffer sonofabitch around. So a nasty piece of tech such as this would be great.

A better idea would be a combo of dog and tool.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ASUS and Quantenna Communications had demonstrated their world's first Wave 2 802.11ac router at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2014. Quantenna Communications had said that ASUS RT-AC87 would be the...
Quote: Janusz Bryzek, Chair, Tsensors Summit shows off how sensors in devices from cellphones, to bras and shoes are turning bodies into computers. Endquote https://fora.tv/2014/04/29/Quantifie...il&utm_term=0_de23702f3b-6ced44eb6d-295725241
whenever i turn on my pc, it shows as shown in the figure... what can be done to make sure it wont come everytime i start my pc... plz help
hi everyone, i need to rotate a horizontal disc which has bevel gear, the gear ratio of which is 1, the mass of disc along with its peripherals is around...
Name: Manjeet Saini Engineering Trade:Computer Science and Engineering Location:New Delhi Occupation: Student Work Experience: fresher Hobbies & Interests: Android technologies, Hacking and software development. Aim in life: Developer and Founder....