uBuntu Server Vs. CentOS For Web Hosting - Advantages / Disadvantages?

Can someone offer insights on the advantages and disadvantages of using uBuntu server and CentOS for web hosting? I've been trying to find information online; however it looks like there aren't real advantages and it's all about personal preference. There are two main points I discovered -
  • Support Cycle of each of the Linux flavours
  • cPanel / WHM support; CentOS supports cPanel and that's why a lot of web hosting companies offer their hosting environment based on CentOS.
However, apart from these there aren't any differentiating points between these two flavours when used as web hosting server operating systems. I'd however look forward to hearing from all of you.

Replies

• Chintan Umarani
    Chintan Umarani
    Centos is rock solid os, which support rpm and yum package manager. If your server team is comfertable with redhat like os and its commands then centos will be best choice.

Ubuntu servers are best for newbies, lamp installtion wizard ans tasksel like commands are really helpful. On top that you can easily manage your servers by web based UI like "Webmin".
    It by default uses apt-get package manager.
    Long term support LTS versions comes with 5 Yrs support, though version upgrades are also easy in ubuntu.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Why not use ArchLinux instead ? eliminates support cycle problem.
    Uses vanilla stack of all DE (KDE, GNOME, LXDE, Cinnamon, Pantheon, XFCE, etc.), so no useless pre-installed crap. Install the tools that you want, saves space & memory. pacman -Syu and your entire server will be updated to latest available stack. (I don't know about web-hosting. Can't any distribution can get cPanel & install it ? curious to know )

Never thought that people do use bleeding edge distros for servers, but I have fortunately found plenty of users in Arch Forums using it on server.
  • Chintan Umarani
    Chintan Umarani
    #-Link-Snipped-# :
    1. cPanel is not free though test version is available but can't use it for production.
    2. I would like to encourage you to take look at similar kind of tool which is free. Webmin
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I have been working with both CentOs and Ubuntu hosting. If you are intending to use something like cPanel or WHM, then stick to CentOs (since you would not be working much on the console anyways). If you want to be bad-ass and save money for these licenses, go with Ubuntu, the console commands are easier 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've some credit in my account on DigitalOcean and I'm going to try setting up things on it. I'm not very comfortable ditching WHM/cPanel yet; but I will definitely do it in the next few months. 😀 Yeah; uBuntu commands are easier; but I want to spend as less time as I can on fixing things via command line.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    A word of caution here Biggie, once you get comfortable with console, cPanel or WHM feels irritating. I'd rather have a clean VPS of my own to work with instead of having to figure things out on cPanel/WHM/Parallels. If you are comfortable with them, do not bother, its a paradigm shift and once you are on console theres no looking back.
  • avii
    avii
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've some credit in my account on DigitalOcean and I'm going to try setting up things on it. I'm not very comfortable ditching WHM/cPanel yet; but I will definitely do it in the next few months. 😀
    I was in your shoes once. Ditched cPanel/WHM and tried several others. Nothing satisfied. Realized my mistake and came back to it. Same gonna happen with you also, I bet ;-)

regarding question in OP, I would go with CentOS.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

To best prepare for your Microsoft 74-325 exam,you can get the online free practice test to study for your office 365 74-325 exam,you can get the link below to download....
CrazyEngineers now lets you see the trending topics and also subscribe to the topics of your choice! Let us show you how- 1. Trending Topics: See the sidebar? There's a...
Now that we have announced trending tags and subscription facility for tags/topics on CrazyEngineers, I was wondering if all of you would like to have the [HASHTAG]#tags[/HASHTAG] facility. It works...
Today is Earthday. To me every day is earthday. However, symbollically potted a kalanchoe that profusely flowers scarlet florets in winter. Poor thing is confused by al the climate change...
I'm senior software engineer in L&T Infotech. I love open source technologies that's the reason I work in Drupal development. I have 4+ yrs of experience in this domain. I...