Truecaller Introduces TrueMessenger: A Messaging App That Detects Spam SMS

Swedish company Truecaller which provides one of the most popular apps with the same name has now introduced a new app named Truemessenger. This app is a replacement app for SMS which will allow the users to verify the actual sender of the SMS. Just like Truecaller, the data will be obtained from the contact list of the users of the application. For instance, if a person saves a number indicating that it received spam messages from that number, and later if you get the message from the same number, you will come to know that the message sent is actually a spam.

The app seems basic, but it might prove really effective because spam messages are as much as the source of nuisance as spam emails. Also, just like emails, Truemessenger will also provide an ability to shift the spam messages to a different folder altogether within the app and the intelligent app will automatically save the message in that folder the next time it receives message from the same number. This will help the user distinguish between the general SMSes and junks.

truemessenger_truecaller

A question that naturally occurs is with so many instant messaging apps like WhatsApp and WeChat now available, do people actually use SMSes for communication anymore? Truecaller co-founder and CEO Alan Mamedi said that even though the number of SMSes have reduced over a period of time, SMS is still important in the global market. He said that the volumes of messages are still huge and no one is tackling the problems. The problem of spam messages is huge in countries like US and India. He also gave some figures saying that 15 percent of all messages are spam and that the spam adds upto an astonishing number of 1.3 trillion SMSes every year.

Truemessenger is now available only for Android user on the #-Link-Snipped-#. The reason behind only Android availability is that the Android OS allows third-party messaging apps to be set as default while iOS doesn’t. When asked about the availability on iOS, Mamedi said that they will try to do the same and convince Apple that this is actually the way the SMS should work.

Via: Truecaller Wants To Make SMS Smart And Social With New Android Messaging App • TechCrunch

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I stopped using Myntra after it decided to shut down its website and direct users to download the mobile app. Now, if I'm already believing my eyes - the new...
I have graduated in B.E in 2015, i wish to take up IES Exams ..... so plz share your ideas/suggestions/Guidelines to crack the exam..... and help me in selecting the...
One has to watch out. Even the lowly pill is becoming smart and weave a (ww)web around non compliant or forgetful patients. https://www.medgadget.com/2015/07/pr...approved-to-measure-medication-adherence.html
Hi guys, Can anyone suggest me some good short course to do after ECE...Is UNIX course better??..Plz Help me in finding courses in Bangalore or Kerala. I also applied for...
Quote: While Raspberry Pi and Arduino mainly focus on hobbyists, BeagleBone is sought to address ambitious developers with professional backgrounds. This is due to the fact that both the processor...