Transferring Emotions To Your Palm Using Air: A University of Sussex Research

At a time when Apple Watch: Features, Variants and Price Details Here is bragging about its Haptic Feedback feature that lets a user share tap vibration to another user along with his/her heartbeat, the folks from the University of Sussex have used Ultrahaptics to transfer emotions to your palm using air. So the obvious question you are asking now is how can air be used to convey emotions? Dr Marianna Obrist, Lecturer at the Department of Informatics at the University of Sussex believes bursts of air from the Ultrahaptics machine to your palm can invoke various emotions. To invoke excitement the machine has to fire short, sharp bursts of air to the area around the thumb, index finger and middle part of the palm. If you want someone to feel sad all you have to do is stimulate the outer palm and the area around the pinky finger with slow and moderate bursts of air.

Haptics

A research team led by Dr Obrist conducted an experiment using the Ultrahaptics system on three separate groups of people. The first group was given five separate images calm scenery with trees, white-water rafting, a graveyard, a car on fire, and a wall clock and they were asked to create air patterns on the Ultrahaptics machine to describe the emotions evoked by the images. The second group was asked to rate the feedback from the Ultrahaptics machine. The final group was then asked to rate these simulations associated with the pictures. The third group reported higher scores signalling that they had managed to receive the emotions from the first and second group.

The only trouble we see with the system is its size. The Ultrahaptics system is quite big and bulky. Dr Obrist informs that this system can be scaled to a wearable. She asks us to imagine a future where a couple has a fight before leaving for work. While she is in a meeting she receives a gentle sensation from her bracelet that comforts her and informs her partner isn’t angry anymore. This can also be used to establish communication between parent and baby. It can also be used in a many-to-one scenario. For example, dancers at a club can use haptic stimulation to spread the feeling of excitement.

The team has showcased the concept at the CHI 2015 conference in South Korea and you can read more about it on the #-Link-Snipped-# website and as always we have embedded a video demonstration below.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How can we use use Dijkstra's algorithm to find shortest path when there are multiple edges having different weights to go from one node to another and also the availability...
I am jobless ECE engineer. What is future scope of automation and embedded systems?what is current and future market trends in those fields? I Wanted to do training course in...
HELLO EVERYBODY, MAY ANYBODY PROVIDE ME ANY PROPER LINKS OR MATERIALS TO HAVE SOME IDEAS TO WORK ON SQL OTHER THAN THOSE OF DAILY CLASSES OF THE COLLEGE.. ..
I want to search the record from database .I am gonna ask for to date and from date . I want that records between the dates which i am gonna...
WhatsApp voice calling feature is now available to all the iPhone users. The app update version 2.12.1 introduces the much awaited WhatsApp Calling feature on iOS to let you make...