Tracking Phailin

Since I am a resident of Bhubaneswar, Odisha I spent the entire day yesterday stocking up on essential supplies for the upcoming cyclone Phailin. Last time in the year 1999, we did not have much information as soon as electricity supply lines got severed. So this time to keep an eye on the latest cyclonic storm “Phailin’ I have the taken the help of Internet, the best tool at my disposal. The following paragraphs will help you to keep an eye on Phailin.

Satellite Images

IMD Source: #-Link-Snipped-#. Click on Satellite Image link on the left hand side and access the satellite images from the Kalpana I satellite. The images are uploaded at select times in the day.

Real time updated satellite images from NOAA: Even though the official website is now offline due to the Federal government shutdown you still can view the live satellite images on this #-Link-Snipped-#. You need to have flash enabled for this site.

Tracking The Cyclone

The Cyclocane website provides advanced information and more satellite images than regular sites. You can track Phailin at this TROPICAL CYCLONE PHAILIN Tracker | Cyclocane.

Weather Updates

Popular websites like The Weather Channel do provide excellent details, but for I personally appreciate the AccuWeather website and its native apps for their design. Bhubaneswar City forecast link #-Link-Snipped-#.

As Phailin gets the dreaded super-cyclone status, I advise people of Coastal Andhra Pradesh and Odisha to stay safe out there.

PS: I will try to update the thread with further information.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The threat seems quite real now. Wind speeds have picked up causing damage to Durga Puja pandals. In my locality, all shops have shut down except for the chemists. There have been many disruptions in the power supply from last light but it seems the authorities would like to have the power supply going on as long as its possible. Only a few incoming planes could land today morning, according to local news about 17 incoming flights have been cancelled or rescheduled to next week.
  • auroworld
    auroworld
    thanks for ur work
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# You're really doing a great job keeping us updated.
    I just read that that the wind speeds are touching up to 210-220 km an hour. I am praying for people who have to endure all this.

Looks like the disaster hit area is the Odisha coast between Paradip and Kalingapatnam. The storm has surged up to 10 feet above the tide level posing a threat to low-lying villages.
    Phailin's effects are likely to be widespread, inundating not only large parts of northern Odisha, but also causing rainfall in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and east Madhya Pradesh. The rains are likely to be heavy and continuous.

NOTE: Foreign agencies have claimed that Indian authorities are underestimating Phailin, quoting London-based Tropical Storm and US Navy's joint typhoon warning centre as forecasting winds up to 315 kmph.

If any of residents are reading this - please update us with any info you can. It might help anyone.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Phailin will hit the coastline within a few hours.
    Landfall
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here is an image of projected path of Cyclone Phailin from yesterday -

_70423728_map_india_east_coast_cyclone
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The power supply now is very erratic now. I had gone to the roof of my house a few minutes ago and the wind was pretty strong.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The local news agencies are doing a great job in covering the event. National news people have also arrived and are at Gopalpur where the storm is set to hit. The government has started working on the relief work. Food packets are being prepared at Kalinga Stadium and are being transported to the old airport terminal in Bhubaneswar for air drops as soon as the cyclone passes away. The preparations are very good as compared to 1999 when the govt was caught off guard. People too have paid heed to the early warning and stocked up on supplies.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Cyclone Phailin 70kms away from Odisha.More than 5 lakhs people evacuated.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Even A.P Govt is taking very good measures to tackle it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

India's automobile market just got updated with a passenger car from Volkswagen India with the launch of Volkswagen Vento TSI - the much anticipated performance oriented sedan. Unveiled at a...
When it comes to product design of our times, Apple's Jonathan Ive is a world leader. He was instrumental in designing almost all of Apple's fate changing products from iPod...
Max Wilson's maxi effort results in this monumental time lapse that involved processing 8 Terabytes data. Quote: During this project, I have shot over 200,000 exposures, of raw digital files....
AppHack Hyderabad 2013 on November 9-10, 2013​AppHack is the first of its kind 24 hour Mobile App Hackathon conducted by AngelHack, a premier community based out of San Francisco to...
May be this should be in Chillax. For whatever it is worth, to whomsoever it may concern: https://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/3073/exclusive-video-teardown-apple-iphone-5s-and-5c