Torispherical dish end calculations.

Torispherical dish end calculations.

Can Anyone give me the formula for calculating plate size needed to make the 10 % torispherical dish ends for a reactor?
Diameter of reactor is 3000 mm
Height of Reactor is 3500 mm
volume required is 25 m3
Shell Thickness is 10 mm
I Want to Know is what shall be the diameter of 12 mm circular plate required before it can be bent to form the dish ends?

Answer:

Torispherical dish ends, also known as torispherical domes, are used in a variety of pressure vessels, reactors and tanks.

The geometry of a torispherical head is more complex than a simple spherical or cylindrical shell.

A torispherical dome consists of a spherical cap (also known as the crown), a toroidal ring around the edge (the knuckle), and a flange that allows it to be joined to the rest of the vessel (the straight flange).

Torispherical heads are usually specified by the ratio of the major radius of the torus (knuckle radius) to the minor radius (crown radius).

In a 10% torispherical head, the knuckle radius is 10% of the inner vessel diameter, and the crown radius is 10% of the inner diameter.

For a 10% torispherical head, the following formulas can be used to calculate the blank diameter (i.e., the diameter of the flat plate needed before forming) for the head.

Blank Diameter = D + 2 (0.9045 C) + (2 * SF)

Where:

- D = Inside Diameter of the Vessel

- C = Crown Radius = 0.1 * D

- SF = Straight Flange (usually about 0.35 * Crown Radius for a 10% torispherical head)

Given that the diameter of your reactor is 3000 mm,

C = 0.1 D = 0.1 3000 = 300 mm

SF = 0.35 C = 0.35 300 = 105 mm

Substituting these values into the formula:

Blank Diameter = 3000 + 2 (0.9045 300) + 2 105 = 3000 + 2 271.35 + 210 = 3752.7 mm

So, the diameter of the 12 mm thick circular plate before it can be bent to form the dish ends should be approximately 3753 mm.

This is a nominal value, and in practice the diameter might need to be adjusted slightly to account for material thickness, bending losses, and welding allowances.

Please note that these calculations are approximations and you should consult a pressure vessel design manual or a structural engineer for exact design requirements, as this can vary based on standards (like ASME) and local regulations.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I do not think that there is any formula as such.
    There is a thumb rule used in industries. It is more an internal practice.
    For shallow dishing, the diameter of the plate circle is usually the final OD of the dish plus 3 x t, where t is the thickness of the original plate. During forming a bit of the material flows from the centre towards the edges, which will give some small thickness difference over the profile.
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    Actually I want to calculate the weight of a reactor.
    Now the weight of the cylinder can easily be calculated by multiplying volume X Density.
    But in order to calculate the volume of top and bottom dish ends i need diameter of the plate from which they are fabricated.
    Now the approx weight of such a reactor come out to be close to 8-8.5 tons.
    But by my calculations it is coming out as only 4.5 tons. Even if we add gearbox, motor, nozzles etc. the difference should not be so large.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Please see section 4.3.2.3 on torispherical dished ends. The formula for approximate volume (multiply by density for weight) is given there. Calculate the outside volume and the inside volume separately; the difference is the volume of the dished end.
    (Pages 31-32) #-Link-Snipped-#
  • mechky
    mechky
    prashpan
    Actually I want to calculate the weight of a reactor.
    Now the weight of the cylinder can easily be calculated by multiplying volume X Density.
    But in order to calculate the volume of top and bottom dish ends i need diameter of the plate from which they are fabricated.
    Now the approx weight of such a reactor come out to be close to 8-8.5 tons.
    But by my calculations it is coming out as only 4.5 tons. Even if we add gearbox, motor, nozzles etc. the difference should not be so large.
    See if the following relations help you in computing the correct mass:

[​IMG]

CR = Do
    KR = 0.1Do
    SF = 3.5t
    DH = 0.1935Do – 0.455t
    THi = SF + DH

Do = external head diameter
    SF = straight flange height
    Di = internal head diameter
    DH = depth of dishing
    CR = crown radius
    THi = total internal head height
    KR = knuckle radius
    t = wall thickness

The external head diameter, 'Do' is usually equal to the outside diameter of cylindrical section.

Using these relations, prepare a solid model of the torispherical end in SolidWorks or any other software. Apply the material and then you can view its mass. Add it to the mass of cylindrical section and see if the total mass is coming out to be correct or not. This will ensure that the dimensions you are using are correct.

If the mass comes out to be correct, then only proceed with the theoretical formulae for volume calculations as they are approximate formulae and many simplified formulae give wrong answers.
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    Okay, thanks for the formulae but i don't have solidworks.
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    bioramani
    Please see section 4.3.2.3 on torispherical dished ends. The formula for approximate volume (multiply by density for weight) is given there. Calculate the outside volume and the inside volume separately; the difference is the volume of the dished end.
    (Pages 31-32) #-Link-Snipped-#
    Sir i did Calculated the volume by the formula given in the link. but by this calculation the weight is coming out as only 156.662 kg
    Although the height "h" is coming as 578 mm which is correct.
    Taking into consideration that R = Do for torispherical head.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I have not done the detailed calculations. To me it appears that 156 kg is probably one tenth. I got about 1.25 tons as the weight by another approximate order of magnitude calculation. Which makes the total reactor weight more like 4.5 tons, which is what you got independently.
    Have you considered the possibility that you are right?
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    bioramani
    Have you considered the possibility that you are right?
    Maybe but i will only find out when the reactor is fabricated, will get back when i know the answer.
  • feroz khan
    feroz khan
    sir i want to calculate the diameter of dish to be cut for a reactor of shell having id 1000 mm & thickness 8mm.Please help me .
  • deep.mec07
    deep.mec07
    can anyone tell me how to calculate the development of a dish end
  • gaurav bhadani
    gaurav bhadani
    blank dia of torispherical d'end is =o.d. +o.d/24 + 2/3 kr +2s.f

o.d. =outer dia of d'end
    k.r = knuckle radius
    s.f. = straight face

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I AM GAME LOVER AND PLAY LOT OF GAMES BUT I HAD THOUGHT OF CREATING MY OWN GAMES INSTEAD OF PLAYING SOME CREATED IT , SO WHAT ALL COURSES I...
i want some good books for 5th sem (electronics and communication) subjects: vlsi , vhdl , dsp pls some good books where i can understand the concept and lot of...
Here is a list of project ideas related to Cloud Computing. Students belonging to third year or final year can use these projects as mini-projects as well as mega-projects. This...
Let us make a collection of project ideas for developing apps on iOS for iPhone and iPad. iOS App developers use Xcode, Apple’s integrated development environment (IDE) and have the...
can any one tell me how can i download youtube videos without having youtube downloader???