Tongue (in cheek) magnetic control for the disabled from Georgiatech

Quote:
A tiny magnet embedded in a tongue through piercing, implantation or adhesion has been shown by a Georgia Institute of Technology team of researchers to be capable of acting as a controller for the user to direct the operation of electromechanical devices such as wheelchairs. The Georgia Tech Bionics Lab describes their Tongue Drive System in an article published online. They have also published a paper in Science Translational Medicine.
Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

Maybe CEans will come up with many other non medical applications for this idea.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    I had read the link but confused by a line where he had described that it can control computer.What does that really mean? Is it just about controlling mouse cursor or any other thing?

It can be a boon for differently abled who want to do things which cannot be done easily .
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    I had read the link but confused by a line where he had described that it can control computer.What does that really mean? Is it just about controlling mouse cursor or any other thing?
    The video shows the cursor moving across a screen at the command from the user. It really seems useful. You can even consider this for normal people, whose limbs are engaged with other equipment.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A.V.Ramani
    The video shows the cursor moving across a screen at the command from the user. It really seems useful. You can even consider this for normal people, whose limbs are engaged with other equipment.
    Sorry i haven't watched it.
    i am using phone to surf.
    How is for gaming ? especially for differently abled.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Sorry i haven't watched it.
    i am using phone to surf.
    How is for gaming ? especially for differently abled.
    Could be an interesting application. You can try contacting the workers at Georgia Tech and discuss possibilities.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When i tried to open yahoomail it shows the following message " Unable to process request at this time (Error 999). This error is usually temporary. Please try again later....
Samsung Electronics have added a new member to the Galaxy family with the launch of Galaxy Core Advance. Samsung have stuck with their theory of “bigger is better” and given...
Before making an appearance on the company’s website, the Micromax Canvas 2.2 A114 has made it way to e-commerce websites like Flipkart and eBay. The latest member of the Canvas...
Curious to know what are the different types of materials used in 3D printing. I think the 3D printers have a special material that the nozzles can spray on the...
myLIFTER is a new device and an iOS app using which anybody can lift heavy objects with ease. myLifter makes uses of Bluetooth 4.0 to communicate with iOS smart devices....