Today is Facebook Quit Day. Maybe You Should Start Your Own Facebook.

Thousands of FB users are not happy the way Facebook treats their personal data and have decided to quit Facebook today. A portal 'Quit Facebook Day' has been setup and at the time of writing this post, there are about 33,000 Facebook users who have registered an interest in quitting Facebook. How many of them will eventually click the 'Delete' button; is something difficult to predict. Facebook, by all means, is useful and addictive.

We earlier covered Facebook Privacy #-Link-Snipped-#. Facebook's founder has already acknowledged that his company had made mistakes with the privacy policy and settings. FB promised users to simplify its complicated privacy settings and make them easier for average Joe on Facebook. However, it looks like people aren't yet happy with what they've got from Facebook so far. The concern is valid.

#-Link-Snipped-#The trouble started when Facebook decided to turn your Facebook profile page into your online identity. Facebook had to make most of user's information public and they did it. Thanks to the help they received from Beltway privacy experts. So your location, your friend list, your photo was all made publicly available - and you couldn't control what to show to the outer world. It didn't stop there. Few months later, all the things you 'liked' were released to public as well. So, if you 'liked' LCD television; Facebook could easily provide this data to advertisers to target their ads at you; all without your consent. The information that was made publicly available included your employment status, schools, reading preferences, hobbies etc. Things got worse when your status messages were also released to the world and essentially search engines. This attracted LOT of search engine traffic to Facebook, adding to its popularity and eventually, revenues. Those who don't care about their privacy online; aren't bothered. But the fact is that lot of Facebook users aren't really aware of what's being done with their private data. If you were to support some group on Facebook, without letting others know about it - you could not do that.

I personally do not like the idea that whole world knows what I'm doing, what I like, who my friends are, what's my employment status and whether I hate my boss. Maybe its a good idea to start your simple network for friends with whom you regularly interact. ...and its not difficult at all! Above all, its free. Look at #-Link-Snipped-#. It runs on the top of WordPress ( a very popular blogging platform ) and its very easy to use. If you need some technical help in setting it up, we welcome you to post your questions in our CS/IT Engineering Section on CE Forums.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Imagine a day when your refrigerator will monitor the milk you have, it will re-order it through an online transaction whenever it reaches a certain level. A day when you...
TRAI published an interesting press release about the status of Indian telecom industry as on April 2010: Total Telephone subscriber base reaches 638.05 Million

o Wireless subscription reaches...
Yes! Dell is striking the Cell-Phone market with all this together. Dell is emerging with its smart phones. It is grand news for all the phone buffs around. The news...
Rick Cavallaro is surely into some crazy engineering. Rick and his team (California based) have designed a car that's entirely wind-powered; but it can move faster than the wind speed!...
The circulation of the hot news about thousands of gallons of oil escaping the wellhead and its effect on the Louisiana's shores since early in the incident, affecting more than...