To root or not to root? (Motorola G 2014)

I own a Motorola G (2014), which I bought on January 2015. Ever since I've upgraded to Lollipop(5.0.2) the phone has started lagging a lot and it has become quite irritating. The phone was working very well on KitKat(4.4.4).

I want to get rid of Lollipop and maybe install a KitKat ROM or some other custom ROM. I know this will void my warranty but I'm ready to do it. I'm new to all these terms like 'root', 'flashing', 'bricking' and so on. I'm learning but still wanted to know from users who have rooted phones if I should go ahead and root my phone.

What are the chances of bricking the phone? And which Custom ROM should I add?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# may have suggestions for you.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't think there would be any problem with rooting.
    You just need to follow the correct steps at 1st time.
    head to #-Link-Snipped-# . I would suggest to watch plenty of video about rooting your so you get confidence with it.
    Next step - Take Nandroid Backup (backup from recovery) as soon as you root the phone and save it to your computer. So you can restore whenever required.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Rooting Motorola devices is very easy.
    - Unlock Bootloader
    - Flash Custom Recovery via adb
    - Root your device using Custom Recovery (TWRP recommended)

To Unlock Bootloader :
    Read instruction from Motorola website : #-Link-Snipped-#

To Flash Custom Recovery :
    - After unlocking bootloader, start the device and connect to PC and put latest twrp img and supersu zip in internal sd [you'll find files from Moto G XDA]
    - Go to recovery mode [Vol Up + Screen On/Off], connect your device with usb, open terminal & type 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img'
    You've successfully flashed custom recovery.

To Root :
    - Go to recovery mode and start custom recovery i.e TWRP
    - Flash supersu.zip

Root done.

You'll find more details in Official XDA Moto G forum, look at those stickies.

NOTE : There was change in partition table from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4, so reverting from L or 4.4.4 to 4.4.2 has resulted in bricking of phone. So avoid reverting to 4.4.2 from L.

There are many custom ROMs available but almost all of them are based on CM source base. Few of them add few xposed modules and call them by different name, nothing new.

Anyways, I will suggest to use CM12.1 Nightlies (if you don't mind daily updates) or CM12.1 Stable over Stock Android, anyday.
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Thanks for the advice! Especially the backup app! 👍

#-Link-Snipped-# - Thanks for the detailed info! Thanks for the warning too, didn't know about the L to 4.4.2 bricking issue. Was thinking of switching to CM, but now since you've suggested it I'll definitely switch to CM. 👍

Will keep updating this thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let's face it - all your YouTube video loops, not-so-useful GIFs and 4K videos getting saved to the cloud are only burdening the Internet Backbone; which is the optic fibre...
MY SPLENDID AND WARM WISHES TO ONE AND ALL...!!!! IAM J.SHIREEN HUSSAINA PURSUING MY FINAL YEAR OF ENGINEERING IN THE FIELD OF COMPUTER SCIENCE . MY AREA OF INTEREST IS...
Quote: Google has revealed a health-tracking wristband designed for prescription-only and clinical trial use. Andrew Conrad, PhD, head of the life sciences division at the Google X research lab, told...
Sony India just brought its new smartphone Xperia Z3+ to the Indian shores hoping that it will compete the high-end phones in the market. Even if that might be the...