Thoughts and Opinions on Laravel?

I've been curiously reading about the Laravel framework and most of the things look pretty impressive. I'm wondering if we have any php developers who've actively used Laravel for any of their development projects. I'm curious to know your thoughts on the positives and the negatives that you've experienced with Laravel?

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I am not sure why as I didn't work on this framework before but it is very popular among Freelance Developers these days

I mean first choice
  • Jash Mota
    Jash Mota
    Laravel has quite enthusiast developer community. It's becoming more prominent with every passing day. As far as I know, it has been in use for very diverse projects. However, I don't observe it being used for social networking sites. I found the following pro for it:
    1. Building an Authentication and Authorization Systems
    2. Integration with Mail Services
    3. Integration with Tools for Making Web Applications Faster
    4. Fixing the Most Common Technical Vulnerabilities
    5. Configuration Error and Exception Handling
    6. Automation Testing Work
    7. URL Routing Configuration
    8. Separation “Business Logic Code” from “Presentation Code”
    9. Message Queue System (Delayed Delivery) Configuration
    10. Scheduling Tasks Configuration and Management
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm curious to know the main reason behind popularity of the framework. Almost everyone's talking about Laravel and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything that's spectacular. I mean, if I've to make a choice of a framework - is there anything that would make Laravel an 'obvious' choice?
  • Manasee Mahajan
    Manasee Mahajan
    We use Laravel extensively for software development. Laravel is extremely extensible. It provides you with ready hooks for almost everything that you need from a web application (not a web site, mind you). There is an amazing set of packages that you can plug in to the framework. It can be used as a full stack web development platform, or can be integrated with other frameworks like Angular very easily. Provides great support for web service development, CI through GIT, and more!

Tell me of a good Laravel developer, and I am always willing to hire!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# . I do agree about the availability of useful packages that make a lot of things available to the devs ready made. Have you used Laravel as a backend to power a progressive web app? That's what I'm exploring these days. Would welcome opinions.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    The best thing I love about laravel is that, you actually don't need to know PHP to code on laravel. Its just that simple and straight forward. Of-course, basic programming paradigm must be know.

Laravel supports latest trends of MVC frameworks built in, like pub/sub, elixir, easy relationship management, CLI for testing your models (just like django or rails), task scheduling etc. It works well with client-server architecture and supports oAuth 2.0. Only drawback people talk about is its logic computation speed as it is written in PHP, viz. slower compared to python and ruby, but php v7.0 is not that bad.

Also, the community is very active, which is always a plus point.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vishal0203
    Only drawback people talk about is its logic computation speed as it is written in PHP, viz. is slower compared to python and ruby, but php v7.0 is not that bad.
    I never understood this point. People complain about 'performance' which typically translate into a few milliseconds of delay. Unless a developer is writing code for an app that is as vast as LinkedIn or Facebook or Instagram or Twitter or YouTube; a few milliseconds of delay shouldn't be an issue.

If Ruby does something in 10ms, php would do it in 100ms or maybe 400ms. But does that really matter?
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    It doesn't matter that much, but I've seen php websites not being able to take load of more than 17 users. Probably a badly coded website, because I've never faced any problems on my website yet. Moreover, with the growth containerised deployment techniques, It's easy to curb these problems.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vishal0203
    Probably a badly coded website,
    That, is the case. At CrazyEngineers, we've seen 500-600 concurrent users ( measured every 2-3 seconds ) and servers didn't even blink.

One can write poor code in any damn language and then complain about performance issues. That almost always is the case. I've found out that if a developer follows standards; performance is seldom an issue.

Performance issues (for websites) are mostly related to server configuration than the language itself. If php was slow, Facebook wouldn't be running it. They did launch HHVM; but Facebook scaled quite well with PHP in the initial days.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If php was slow, Facebook wouldn't be running it.
    That's maybe because there were not many options for server side coding those days. Benchmark for the languages do show significant difference in computation speed for php, ruby and python. However, as I said, php isn't bad, and is more user friendly.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Perfomance does matter, the ideal wait time a user waits for something to load now a days is less than 10 sec 😔..

so with extra high speed internet available to most of the people, loading of the application should be of similar speed!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Technology makes us curious, and the smartphone revolution has taken technological innovation to dizzying heights. Things like gesture interface, which we had all glimpsed in the Tom Cruise film...
Quote: Enroll to get: 7 lessons accessible anytime, anywhere Learn by doing with hours of project focused instruction Complete material lists and downloadable project resources One-on-One help with your questions...
In a bid to brighten up the world of Colorblind users, Microsoft has developed a novel Color Binoculars app. The new app, 9.4 MB in size makes use of the...
I've posted this image which I've described as a "Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation". Trispokedovetile tessellation by Peter Dow, on Flickr which is a tessellation of this tile shape, Trispokedovetile by...
Hello , I'm lobsang dolma n it's my last semester (7th)in b.tech civil . I couldn't able to choose what should I have to do after graduation..I'm planning to join...