This year, I resolve to ban laptops from my classroom - Tal Gross, Columbia U

I do not know if this is a problem only in the USA or prevalent in many other countries.
What do CEans, especially those still students, feel about this post by Tal Gross, Asst. Prof. at Univ of Columbia?
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Joy Gracia
    Joy Gracia
    I'm going with Tal Gross, Asst. Prof. at Univ of Columbia..because i think distraction is less while using pen and paper rather than laptops....In another way it is true that laptops not only affect the one with it but also the one behind...
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Though I am not a student, I want to say something on this. A teacher comes to the class with lots of preparation on a topic from number of books apart from "what are given the syllabus".
    If that person is so dedicated to share his/her knowledge, and eventually, if someone is not paying attention in the class room and deliberately doing something else (chatting among peers is common apart from net surfing and all that), obviously, It would feel bad for the teacher.
    I would like to appeal to those students, just replace your teacher with yourself and go to handle a class and address with a lecture of anything to fill the pressure of a teacher, and how it fells when someone does something exactly same as you.

Please do not do like this!!
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    It really depends on the perspective. Not having Laptops in class will limit unwilling students from opening FB, twitter and all, but at the same time, students who are willing, their aid will be limited.
    If the students are interested in learning, technology always helps in quicker understanding, eg. a clip of Trigonal bi-pyramidal structured compound having some reaction is going to give quicker understanding than diagrams drawn on board. (I said quicker not better), So using tech-aids speeds up the process of learning, provided students are willing.
    Those students who have thirst for learning, for them Lectures without tech-aid are good, lectures with tech-aid are even better, but those who are less interested/weak willed, they will always run for excuses, You ban laptops, they'll carry smartphones.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Totally agree with #-Link-Snipped-# on this. When you have a pen and paper at hand, some people take notes, some doodle, some just stair at the horizontal lines and some use the paper to makes planes. It's really the perspective of the students that needs to change.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

(From Washington Post) Quote: This was a big year for the Internet, from the U.S. debate over net neutrality to proposals to shift control of the worldwide Web to the...
Popular micro-blogging website Twitter rolled out a new update that prompts users to read the tweets they missed. Twitter calls this update the “while you were away” feature which shows...
Multinational conglomerate, Samsung has announced that all of its Smart TVs in 2015 will work on a new smart platform based on Tizen operating system. In order to give the...
2014 was the year of wearables as a plethora of smart wearables appeared in the limelight. Among all the wearables, smart watches were very successful in grabbing peoples attention. Initially...
Each mobile messaging user has experienced the freak-out when a message gets sent to someone it's not supposed to read or when having second thoughts after hitting the 'send' button....