This Independence Day We Need Freedom From These 5 Things On The Internet

The honourable Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi talked about a “Digital India” in his hour long address to the nation. He highlighted the importance of internet and how broadband can help our villages. People who use internet on a day-to-day basis know how technology can educate, entertain and help us to connect with our loved ones. After being an Internet user for the past 7 years, I have some issues with this technology and I am sure that you too are facing the same problems. In this article we shall try to highlight some of these issues. There is a long list but we shall cover the most important ones, starting with -

Freedom from Snooping

Snowden

If you haven’t been living under a rock for the past two years you must be aware of the NSA-Snowden saga. The files leaked by Edward Snowden showed how the US Government was accessing information stored by major US tech giants without individual warrants and mass-intercepting data from the internet backbone. While we completely support the idea of lawful monitoring of potential suspects for security purposes, NSA’s procedure seemed downright creepy. This made the whole world feel uneasy while posting something on the internet. Since we were concerned about this issue we raised a question to Mr. Rahul Jamgade in the #-Link-Snipped-# on how we can maintain our privacy in this scenario. He said that it was next to impossible to do that and if anything wants to remain confidential it must not be on the internet. Why can’t we have a private life on the internet? Why shall we remain in a world where “Big Brother” keeps an eye on us all the time? We need freedom from snooping.

Freedom From Online Trolls, Abusers and Stalkers

Trolls

It does not matter if you are a celebrity or a simpleton, because chances are high you would have encountered one or all of the three above mentioned nuisances on the internet. Yesterday, Zelda Williams, the daughter of the recently deceased actor Robin Williams #-Link-Snipped-# and Instagram following a series of derogatory attacks by people who blamed her for her father’s death. These people would not do the same face-to-face but under the mask of misplaced anonymity they display a side of their personalities that is too heinous to be expressed in words. If you ever dived into the comment section of a trending Bollywood film trailer on YouTube, you will be astounded to see the amount of obscene language used. Thanks to shows like MTV Webbed you are well aware of how people, especially the youth of the country become both perpetrators and victims of cyber crimes that leave an indelible mark in their lives. We need a society where one can live online without fear and discrimination. We need freedom from online trolls, abusers and stalkers.

Freedom from Archaic IT Laws

Cyber

In a webinar conducted for CrazyEngineers, Mr. Rahul Jamgade gave us an idea about the IT laws prevailing in the country in India, the Information Technology Act 2000. One of its sections 66A though poses a problem. The offense according to 66A has been listed below.

Sending offensive message through electronic means - Sending any information through an electronic message that is grossly offensive or has menacing character and might cause insult, injury, criminal intimidation, enmity, hatred, or ill will, etc. or sending such mail intended to deceive or to mislead the addressee or recipient about the origin of such messages
and the punishment for such a crime is imprisonment up to three years and a hefty fine. This section came to the limelight when two girls were arrested in November 2012, one for posting a comment on Facebook and the other for liking it. How was liking a Facebook status considered as grossly offensive and had a menacing character to cause insult, injury or whatever? So we would like our lawmakers to amend the laws to clearly define the parameters of the crime and keep up with the ever changing world of internet. We need freedom from archaic IT laws.

Freedom From Spam

Spam

In the internet era the delicious canned precooked meat became a phenomenon that is still causing a headache for everyone. Even when we have stringent spam filters in place, our mail accounts and web browsers have not been able to get rid of them all together. Just when we thought that the industry has gotten rid of them in one sector (mail), they went ahead and infiltrated another one (social networking). So is there a way to stop unsolicited junk from invading our life? We need freedom from spam.

Freedom From Fraudulent Customer Reviews on Online Shopping Websites

Shopping

A couple of months back Are product reviews on Flipkart honest? the baron made me realize the dishonest nature of customer reviews on online shopping websites. If you go to any shopping site such as Amazon, Flipkart or Snapdeal you can find many reviews of a product. While some of them come with a “Verified Buyer” tag most of them are written by people who haven’t actually bought the product from the website. So when you go to know the customer’s review section on a product you are planning to buy you are bombarded with useless information. For example, if you read the customer review of any smartphone, you can find some people posting a spec sheet shootout. This is not necessary and after sometimes it becomes hugely irritating. Therefore, can we have honest reviews, please? We need freedom from fraudulent customer reviews on online shopping websites.

In the run up to 2020, we hope that the world including India would work on these issues and help us lead a better online life. So, do you agree with our list and do you want to add something more? Head over to the comment section below and make your voice heard.

Happy Independence Day to all the citizens of India from CrazyEngineers VoiCE team.

India

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is truly a heart felt post #-Link-Snipped-# Good job. I couldn't agree more with you when you mentioned about the Internet trolls and abusers. Hate them to the core.

As a moderator, I've dealt with spam & spammers by hook as well as by crook. It's high time, people learn that spamming sucks. It disturbs the perfect balance and kills purity of content.

Thank you for this article. Happy Independence Day!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Freedom from Advertisements.
    I need that badly !!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    I need that badly !!
    You can't escape it! You can only protect yourself from specific forms of advertising; but there's almost no escape! We decided that we'll not show advertisements to the members who are logged on to CrazyEngineers; but we end up showing our own advertisements. Unless we advertised, CEans woud not know that we've T-shirts! The same goes with any of the feature launches or announcements.

That said -

1. Snooping : Can be totally prevented - using technology and or laws.
    2. Online trolls, abusers - Can be prevented to some extent.
    3. Spam - I like what Gmail does to email in filtering out spam.
    4. IT Laws - Laws are going to be binding on people and people won't like them.
    5. Fraudulent Customer Reviews - This is something the online retailers themselves encourage. But we can totally learn to ignore and do our own research. I think forums are a great place to get opinions on anything; because people don't usually lie about reviews. The overall trust factor and the reputation of the forums matter, however.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    For example, if you read the customer review of any smartphone, you can find some people posting a spec sheet shootout. This is not necessary and after sometimes it becomes hugely irritating. Therefore, can we have honest reviews, please? We need freedom from fraudulent customer reviews on online shopping websites.
    ^^This^^.
    It is irritatingly funny, in my opinion. Almost all smartphone 'reviews' those come at the time of a launch is the comparison of 'specs' which does not translate to anything. What more strange is the heated discussion after that.

About your list, that varies upon individual. But , yeah it is a valid list of issues among many others we Indian must manage.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Super-Awesome article #-Link-Snipped-#
    If everyone will follow (throw away atleast one crime) our internet life will be much more soothing.

Abhishek Rawal
    I need that badly !!
    Can't agree more from #-Link-Snipped-# ; in the growing advertisement world you can't escape that

However, There are add-ins like Adblock / AdblockPlus that can atleast give someone a Ad-free surfing time.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Be aware that several services would cease to exist 'free' if advertisements are removed. Advertising helps free service offerers revenue. For example, CrazyEngineers survives on revenue generated using advertisements shown to guest visitors; which allows us to keep the servers running all the time and keep CE free for everyone.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Can you please suggest us some good project in the domain of music signal processing which have real time applications?
The NSA and governments that want know everything about you might just love this latest invention by the researchers at Stanford University and defense research firm Rafael. The researchers have...
Life of engineers is an all time best topic for making people laugh on stage and real life. Though the comedian here targets IITians, the video will appeal to every...
I am about to expand my hosting business and I need some beta testers. If anyone is interested in testing web hosting service, let me know ;-) You need a...
The researchers from École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and Haute Ecole Arc Institutes have participated in the development of a single-use contact lenses for the early detection of glaucoma....