These Friendship Bracelets Will Help Teens Learn The Intricacies Of Coding

Friendship bracelets will be flying off from shelves of stores next month on the occasion of Friendship Day (2nd August) but hopefully by next year we shall be seeing a different kind of bracelet being the rage among teenage girls. The programmable friendship bracelets are called Jewelbots by their creators Sara Chipps, Brooke Moreland, and Maria Paula Saba. These three women embarked on their mission to create Jewelbots after noticing a 2012 study from the Girl Scout Institute which showed that even though 75% of girls were interested in the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) a few of them chose to opt for Computer Science. To inculcate an interest for programming in their teenage years, they decided to create something that would be appealing, simplistic and extensive at the same time.

Jewelbot 1

The Jewelbot unlike other wearables looks a bit bland with its translucent floral design. It pairs up with your Android or iOS device using Bluetooth 4.0. The apps for Android and iOS offer them basic features such as choosing a certain LED colour from the multicolour palette as an alert for social networking apps to lighting up when a friend is nearby. They can also be programmed to send haptic messages. Once they are hooked on to the device they can delve into advanced programming with the Arduino IDE. Girls can write the code on a PC, Mac or Linux device and send it to the Jewelbot with the help of USB. The Jewelbots can be programmed to perform simple tasks such as blink alerts for Instagram posts from a certain user or to perform incredibly complex ones such as flying a drone.

Jewelbot

With 14 days still to go, the Jewelbot has been a runaway success at Kickstarter by garnering funds of $112,802 against its pledged goal of $30,000. While early backers will be getting their hands on the Jewelbot for prices as low as $29, retail backers will have to pay $59 (3,766 INR) for a single unit and $89 (5,681 INR) for a pair. The product will be shipped to backers by March of next year.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# via #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think it is pretty cool. Programming should be taught in schools in a fun way, where you are made to create practical applications that can give you the satisfaction of creating something fun or make something easier to use. Once you can use what you've created, you are hooked.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This article needs to spread out far and wide on this Friendship Day.
    Perfect friendship day bracelet for an engineer. 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

when i was in 4th sem ,One of my friends recommended me to do the summer training from HP. I am very thankful to him. After that I enrolled in...
Quote: You will be amazed at the simplicity of this mechanism and its practicality. Use your smartphone to project 3D holographic images and videos without any modification or 3D goggles....
I've read a lot about the Engineering field but an old friend of mine really summed it up with this one. I just wanted to spread the wealth! Enjoy: https://mr-mediocre.hubpages.com/hub...eal-World-What-They-Dont-Teach-You-in-College
The Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope, short for FAST, is soon going to become the world's largest radio telescope, snatching the title away from Puerto Rico's Arecibo Observatory. The...
Spanish train maker Talgo has been given nod by the government to test run and demonstrate their lighter and faster trains on existing railway tracks in India. The Talgo trains...