The role of percentage criteria/cutoffs in getting a job and building a successful career.

The role of percentage criteria/cutoffs in getting a job and building a successful career. My marks are as follows:
SSC 84%
HSC 78%
B.Tech. aggregate of 8 semesters 57%
B.Tech. qualifying degree marks (only 7th and 8th sem) 68% (degree shows passed with distinction).
M.Tech. (1st and 2nd sem) 79% and college topper. Now our campus placements are going to begin as we have entered the second year. But most of the IT giants consider 60% throughout the academics. So my concern is with B.Tech. marks. Can the companies consider my qualifying degree marks of 68% instead of the aggregate of 57%? Can they take into account my other excellent academic credentials and give me an opportunity of getting a good job as I have topped in my M.Tech. exams?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The criteria may change and the concrete answer may come only from the companies that are recruiting. Being a topper, I believe the companies would definitely consider your case - but you might have to approach them through proper channels. If your training and placements officer can make a case for you; you should be able to circumvent the 60% criteria.

That said - your academic percentages or performance can only ensure that you get a chance to appear for interviews. It no way guarantees that you will have a successful career. It's sad that the connect between the industry and the academia in India is close to non existent.

The good news is that you've access to CE which is full of engineers who will be happy to help you at any stage in your professional / personal life. Make sure that you become an active member here.
  • engineergal
    engineergal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The criteria may change and the concrete answer may come only from the companies that are recruiting. Being a topper, I believe the companies would definitely consider your case - but you might have to approach them through proper channels. If your training and placements officer can make a case for you; you should be able to circumvent the 60% criteria.

That said - your academic percentages or performance can only ensure that you get a chance to appear for interviews. It no way guarantees that you will have a successful career. It's sad that the connect between the industry and the academia in India is close to non existent.

The good news is that you've access to CE which is full of engineers who will be happy to help you at any stage in your professional / personal life. Make sure that you become an active member here.
    Thank you for taking time to answer my question. I really needed someone to enlighten me on this issue. I strongly believe that my marks in no way define my success or future. If I have the right attitude and the right skill set, I can find myself working in a good position. But sometimes we need to follow certain rules while appearing for campus placements and that's what really made me worry.

We are having some really good companies visiting our campus and I want to be placed through college. I have studied really well in M.Tech. to make up for the less marks of B.E. and when today I have proved myself, I really want to land a good job. I am glad that through some disturbed moments I came across this CE website and I shall turn here for advice whenever I need it. Wishing you a nice day.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - don't just come when you need an advice. Why not be active part of the family here? You can help a lot of engineers who'll need your help. That's how this site works, you see.
  • engineergal
    engineergal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - don't just come when you need an advice. Why not be active part of the family here? You can help a lot of engineers who'll need your help. That's how this site works, you see.
    Ohh sure I would love to be a part of this family. In fact I would feel happy if I am able to be of help to my fellow engineers. I am feeling at peace with myself after sharing my thoughts on this site. Thank you again. And yes, you do have a new member in CE family!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Shubham25 submitted a new project: An Intelligible Scrum Implementation for Project Monitoring - Agile Scrum Method The project is very new based on International conference paper 2013. It is basically...
Many consider wishing someone a 'Good Morning' as a good thing. It shows how very professional / well-mannered you are. But do we really know what the person is going...
StudyBud, an online study and assessment platform, was founded by Anubhav Jain and Dhruv Bhushan. The duo also co-founded Excelsior Education in 2011 prior to StudyBud. Anubhav Jain completed his...
many times i have gone through the word 'cloud download' can any one tell me what is its actual meaning.
Swipe Telecom has launched a new smartphone called the Swipe Sense that has an inbuilt fingerprint sensor, a feature made popular with Apple's iPhone 5S and 5C smartphones. The Swipe...