The ISRO Mars Orbiter Mission Will Continue For Many Years

Indians are obsessed about mileage, and ISRO Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) is no exception. The Mars Orbiter Mission will continue to orbit the distant red planet for 'many years', confirmed Dr. Kiran Kumar, the chairman of ISRO. He informed that while the mission was earlier designed to last for 6 months, an extension of 6 months was sanctioned. The MOM has already been orbiting for 9 months and 3 days as of today.

The 'Mangalyaan', as it's called, has about 45 Kg of fuel left and the orbiter is hardly using any fuel as of now. The spacecraft got eclipsed by Sun for about 15 days to suffer a ISRO Mangalyaan Will Have 15 Day Blackout Period period till 22nd June. It made a successful contact with the base station after coming out of eclipse and ISRO team believes that the spacecraft can now operate for a long time. The next similar blackout period is expected 2.5 years later.

Mars-Orbiter-Fuel-Many-Years

ISRO engineers had earlier estimated a time frame of about 6 months for the mission. The MOM was designed to overcome any difficulties that it'd encounter before reaching to its final destination. In those cases, the MOM would have used more fuel. However, every stage of the mars orbiter mission was smooth and no extra fuel was required. This led to the Mangalyaan saving a lot of fuel.

The Mangalyaan had no failures or any unexpected incidences and the team was able to save the fuel right from the launch till its final orbiting destination. With about 45 Kg of fuel left, the orbiter can last for 'many years', said Dr. Kiran Kumar.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I own a Motorola G (2014), which I bought on January 2015. Ever since I've upgraded to Lollipop(5.0.2) the phone has started lagging a lot and it has become quite...
Let's face it - all your YouTube video loops, not-so-useful GIFs and 4K videos getting saved to the cloud are only burdening the Internet Backbone; which is the optic fibre...
MY SPLENDID AND WARM WISHES TO ONE AND ALL...!!!! IAM J.SHIREEN HUSSAINA PURSUING MY FINAL YEAR OF ENGINEERING IN THE FIELD OF COMPUTER SCIENCE . MY AREA OF INTEREST IS...
Quote: Google has revealed a health-tracking wristband designed for prescription-only and clinical trial use. Andrew Conrad, PhD, head of the life sciences division at the Google X research lab, told...