The hat puzzle

[โ€‹IMG]4 criminals are caught and are to be punished. The Judge allows them to be freed if they can solve a puzzle. If they do not, they will be hung. They agreed.

The 4 criminals are lined up on some steps (shown in picture). They are all facing in the same direction. A wall separates the fourth man from the other three.
[โ€‹IMG]
So to summarize:-
Man 1 can see men 2 and 3.
Man 2 can see man 3.
Man 3 can see none of the others.
Man 4 can see none of the others.

The criminals are wearing hats. They are told that there are two white hats and two black hats. The men initially don't know what colour hat they are wearing. They are told to shout out the color of the hat that they are wearing as soon as they know for certain what colour it is.

They are not allowed to turn round or move.
They are not allowed to talk to each other.
They are not allowed to take their hats off.

[โ€‹IMG]

Who is the first person to shout out and why?๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    dude..pics are not visible..plz check the links
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    anuragh27crony
    dude..pics are not visible..plz check the links
    ๐Ÿ˜กI know. I'm trying to fix the problem. Just wait for some time.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Biggie fixed it. Check now?
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    srry dude...for making you angry :smile:
    yeah it's fixed
  • Differential
    Differential
    Second Man after waiting for sometime will shout first and say right answer. Here is why....
    Had M2 and M3 have got same color, M1 would have easily figured out his own color and shouted. But He's not doing so, means M2 (myself) and M3 have got different colors. Now I can see what M3 has got. So my hat-color is diff than what M3 has got.

--Differential
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    @Differential....
    The solution is not complete.....
    Let's go by yor words.... then it leaves M1 in confused state whether my hat is Black or White..... and so as the position of M3..

so a per your answer M2 shouts White ....
    1. If M1 has shouted worng (White Hat)...... since two blacks are left then M3 and M4 shouts Black...
    2. If M1 has shouts right (Black Hat)...... since one black and one white.. which leaves M3 and M4 confused...
    so..on goes with M4 if M3 speaks right or wrong....
  • Differential
    Differential
    anuragh27crony
    @Differential....
    The solution is not complete.....
    Let's go by yor words.... then it leaves M1 in confused state whether my hat is Black or White..... and so as the position of M3..

so a per your answer M2 shouts White ....
    1. If M1 has shouted worng (White Hat)...... since two blacks are left then M3 and M4 shouts Black...
    2. If M1 has shouts right (Black Hat)...... since one black and one white.. which leaves M3 and M4 confused...
    so..on goes with M4 if M3 speaks right or wrong....
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    The solution is based on an assumption that all of the men are intelligent and no one lies.

Also its asked that who will shout first, not about all of them !!!

Who is the first person to shout out and why?
    --Differential
  • Norvicute
    Norvicute
    Any body can shout first ๐Ÿ˜› its a matter of decision. yeah lets assume all men are intelligent.

Man 3 and man 4 cannot shout yet because they cannot see the others.

Man 1 is not shouting yet because he is confused on what he sees he seing white and black hat.

If man 1 is not shouting yet man 2 he thinks that if man 3 wearing black and he is wearing black as well then man 1 would shout it fast that he is wearing white hat but he didnt. therefore man 2 can conclude that he is wearing white hat.

Therefore man 2 shout first the right color of hat he is wearing.

๐Ÿ˜
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Let me declare. Differential's and norvicute's arguments are correct. ๐Ÿ‘
  • gohm
    gohm
    All the hats have brims and the brim would be the same color as the cap part of the hat. You can see the brim while wearing the hat without moving while wearing a hat so therefore they all would shout out... ๐Ÿ˜
  • Sanjeevjmt1
    Sanjeevjmt1
    #-Link-Snipped-#

not any man can shout anything .. its a matter of their life

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i'm a final year engg. student . i plan to do a project in embedded systems "Voice based activation and control of system devices "-using 89c51 i need ideas in...
hi i m final year student and i want to make grasss cutting m/c which senses the grass and its process is not on electricity but on engine and no...
Hi people, I need help with installing visual studio 2008. The Problem is whenevr I try to run setup it shows an error message "Problem encountered with Suite Integration Pack"....
hi guy, this is abhishek sinha, i hav 2 present a paper on kernel file system, will u please help me on this corner...๐Ÿ˜•

hi

hi, this is abhishek sinha ๐Ÿ˜