The Frozen Smoke That Is 10,000 Times Stiffer Developed By MIT & LLNL

Can you think of a material that is lighter than air; so light that it can be called 'frozen smoke', but 10,000 more stronger than aerogel? Well, the researchers at MIT and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) not only thought of the material, but have succeeded in architecting it in the laboratory. The material's incredible characteristics and properties would have a very profound impact in the aerospace and automotive industries.

The-Frozen-Smoke
Photo Credit: Julie Russell/LLNL​

Metamaterials are the materials that aren't found in nature and are manufactured artificially in laboratory in a very controlled environment. These materials can withstand a load 160,000 times their own, says Xiaoyu "Rayne" Zheng, an engineer from LLNL who's the part of research team. The stiffness comes from the architecture of the micro-structures in the material. What's more interesting is that the material can be 3D printed! The technique allows the researchers to create any shape of their choice using 3D modelling software.

This new material is 100x stiffer than the rivals which were reported in the scientific journals anywhere in the world; which is a record in itself. We encourage you to read more about the subject on the source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hellow, My name is rishi verma & i have done engineering in electronic tele comm. with 64% aggregate year 2013 and now i want to do short term course that...
The Wi-Fi alliance is already looking for the next standard in the wireless communications and it's time we look forward to the new 802.11ax standard, the successor to currently popular...
As we know in data bases Key Constraints is the most important concept. we can apply the key constraint either to column level or table level, but I want to...
First of all I would like to apologize for my poor English. I've completed my bachelors degree in electronics and communication. My interest are in the following areas: i. Communication(GSM,...
Good day Sir/Madam Engineers , can someone gives us some background or abstract about this project?? What are the possible components needed to work with this.. Feel free to give...