The Elusive 'I Eat and Breathe Code' Engineering Graduate

So, part of being a project lead is getting new and exciting talent on board.
Part of bootstrapping means I can't pay as much as the well funded companies out there. At least not right now.

The work that we do at Veeville, and there is no denying this, is super cool and it never fails to excite most people who I or anyone from our team meets. Yet there is a certain apprehensiveness about working with a company that doesn't remind you everyday about how much funding it received or how in 5 years they would turn a profit and so on..

Is there no passion in the newer set of engineers?

Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hello #-Link-Snipped-# Welcome to CE.
    Have moved your discussion to entrepreneurship & startups section assuming that Veeville is a startup. Now, when it comes to hiring people for your startup & working at a startup, there are leaks on both ends. I have friends who have worked at startups in the past and have had really bad experience :
    1. Workload of the volume they had never imaged. Long shifts, all-nighters, weekend working - That's something the HR never talked about while hiring.
    2. Incredibly lower pay than the industry standard.
    3. No growth even after working 2 years in terms of work being upgraded or higher pay.
    4. No job security. Employees at startups often get axed without prior intimation.

The only pros they tell me is that the learning opportunities are maximum, but there's no one to guide or hand-hold them.

Now coming to the startup's side of the equation. They seem to be always in a trouble that good employees leave for MNCs or a bigger/funded startup and those who do stick to your startup either lack the enthusiasm/passion that the company needs. Somehow, perks offered are always better at the next company.

I think that if startup owners identify the 1st four major problems faced by employees, they should be able to hire better talent and even retain them for as long as possible.

Biggies in the startup world always talk about "quick to hire, quick to fire & repeat". The startup really needs to access if that phrase can work for them in the long run.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, is there a crazyengineers android app, if no then can I create it?
I would like to introduce my self in this forum ..am Ukesh and am doing aeronautical engineering, am not familiar with forums but am interested in learning something new😀...
I am a kind of person who like to try these things,I want a clean install without upgrading my current OS because i think it will take unnecessary space(Is it...
I am currently on Developer branch of Chrome, and I like how things are changing. The little little tweaks and changes making this browser even better. The material design of...
Targeting the Indian middle class, Maruti Suzuki is slated to launch India's most fuel efficient car - Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid. The car is reported to offer about 28 kmpl...