The Craving For Bigger Screen Smartphones Is Coming From Emotional Needs

Researchers at the Penn State University have found that the obsession of the general populace for bigger phone size may just well be for emotional reasons more than practical ones. The study conducted on 130 participants concluded that people using mobile phones with bigger screens tend to have a better user experience. It also said that the most powerful factor of a large screen is its hedonic aspect: how attractive and pleasing it is to users. The research was conducted by S. Shyam Sundar, Media Effects Research Laboratory, Penn State Univ. along with Ki Joon Kim of Sungkyunkwan University, Korea.

Smartph

The 130 participants of the quiz were randomly assigned either a 3.7-inch screen phone or a 5.3-inch screen size phone. They were then asked to visit a mobile website and find the departure time for a shuttle bus. The questionnaire that followed the task included questions about the user experience. The questions included ones on how they used the device and on how they felt about using the phone. The range of human-device interactions that have increased over the past few years are the primary factors that have propelled us to get smartphones with bigger screens.

A previous study has confirmed that Large-screen TVs and monitors have positive effects on user experience and this study of smartphones only conforms to it. This also means that the appeal to both practical and emotional needs of users means that new-age smartphones that can handle various types of media, which we can see them doing very well.

All that being said, companies cannot continually go on and increase the screen sizes forever. So the problem of finding just the right screen size is a challenge for designers and engineers alike.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Well, when it comes to day to day experience, I believe that a phone with a 4.5inch screen does the job well. Its a size that is big enough for all the content and does not look unwieldy in your hands. Using a phone with one hand becomes difficult when it reaches the 5 inch size. Most manufacturers offer bigger screen compromising on the display quality. You can easily notice the pixels and in standard LCD panels, you see bleeding colours, uneven brightness, grey like blacks and poor font rendering. Bigger sizes phone need an AMOLED display panel but manufacturers skip on that due to cost issues.
    The survey should have used a bigger screen phone (4 inch) for the lower threshold. Any adult with average size fingers would have problems with a 3.7 inch screen.
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    3.7 inch seems to be an average screen size of the android phones used by a major chunk of population. Here is some data for your reference:
    chart
    screens-ranges
    The survey should have used a bigger screen phone (4 inch) for the lower threshold. Any adult with average size fingers would have problems with a 3.7 inch screen.
    I own a Sony Xperia E (3.5 inch screen size) and I have average sized fingers but I've got no problems operating the phone.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The GNOME developers are busy developing a new notification system which will replace the current implementation of the notification tray in their upcoming stable release of GNOME 3.14. Among the...
Hi there ! So, I was installing Ubuntu via USB stick on my desktop. (Actually started desktop after like 6-7 months). The USB giving me installation option and running a...
Hello friends, I am thinking about a hybrid car. Its front wheel will be powered by an engine and rear wheels will be powered by an electric motor. If anybody...
Google's Advanced Technologies and Projects (ATAP) division has unveiled a developer edition tablet for its 3D mapping initiative, Project Tango. As you might be aware Google had announced details about...
Hello friends I have an idea regarding braking system. Emergency braking system :- it is a braking system which work in case of emergency brake. A piece of rubber(2*2 ft)...