The Best Engines Behind The Most Successful Cars

When we look towards luxury cars, the only thought which comes to our mind is Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. They all have a classy looks and many people cherish a dream of possessing them. Well I am not exactly talking about luxury cars, instead it's about the most successful cars. What makes these cars successful? One of the success contributing components in all these is their robust engine. The engines of these automobiles are specially designed and fabricated.

#-Link-Snipped-#I have come up with a list of the best performing engines. I do not go with anyone’s ranking but these are the engines which I thought were excellent in its own way. The engines were designed for perfection, luxury and style. Any mechanical freak will fall in love with them.

The engines nowadays are made small and designed for better performance. Just look at the recent Ford eco-boost engine which was unveiled at Frankfurt two years back. Ford developed a new 1.6 liter engine which would replace the normal 2 liter engines. The engine was developed to have a Horse power of about 180 and a Torque of 170-175 Lb-Ft. The engine was launched in 2009 to be a replacement for 2.0-2.5-liter engines in many C-segment vehicles like the C-Max and Focus.  In my opinion, this engine is going to go a long way.

Another one in list is of course 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4) engine. Now let me decode this big complicated name for you. TFSI means 'Turbocharged Fuel Straight Injection' and DOHC means 'Double Over-Head Cam'. This engine is equipped with a belt driven crank-shaft and the four lobe rotors can approach a speed of 23,000rpm. For any engine, the cooling system has to be effective. In this Audi S4 engine, separate cooling circuits connect the twin water-to-air intercoolers. This makes an effective cooling system.

Then there is the 1.8L DOHC I-4 Hybrid Toyota Prius engine. As the name suggest it is a four cylinder engine. It was introduced a way back in the year 2000. This engine was a full hybrid engine right from its introduction. This engine was designed for a horse power 98 Hp, while the later version of hybrid of about 134 Hp. It runs on Atkinson cycle. The cooling system in this engine comprises of an electrically operated water pump and an exhaust gas recirculation system. The factors like compression ratio which is about 13:1 etc are more or less similar to others.

And now let us see Toyota. Now who doesn’t know of the Toyota way? The Japanese automaker has always astonished the world with its management skills and the cutting edge technology. Toyota has always relied on making the best out of available resources. I will not talk about its ‘cutting edge technology’ because it has a lot of aspects related to it. Also I am still new to this field. But I will talk of the ZZ engines which are now quite old type.

This is a common type of engine design nowadays especially when the engine uses Iron-cylinder liners. The engine is made up of Aluminum block. It is an efficient engine. But in my opinion, the only drawback is that people have trouble when they want to turbocharge or supercharge their engines. In year 2000 yet another generation of ZZ was introduced. It was more efficient 2-3 MPG than the previous one.

Nowadays research is being conducted on electric hybrid engines on which our mobility will depend in future. Currently they are no match to Petrol or Diesel engines even if they are competitive still the proportion is very less. When all fossil fuel will disappear from earth then we will have to take help of these electric engines to travel towards future.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

‘AUDI’ and ‘Bicycles’ sounds strange but it is true. The automobile giant is now making bicycles (also) in collaboration with RENOVO. Some of you may know that RENOVO is famous...
Think new constructions, think sky scrapers. Most of the constructions coming up these days are skyscrapers. And of late one technology seems to be dominating the design of these skyscrapers....
Yes, what you have just read above is true. The e-devices will no longer be rigid, like the one which is too big to fit in your pocket comfortably or...
Boston based IObit is a leading maker of computer system utilities & security software has released "Protected Folders" - an easy to use software to protected your important data from...
GPS system developers TomTom have announced that their latest range of GPS devices called the VIA series is available in the markets. This new line of the GPS systems for...