The best android phone in India under Rs. 15000 : Moto G!

Starting 5th February, you will be able to buy #-Link-Snipped-#, at an 'exceptional price' - says Flipkart. The official price of the phone in India has not been revealed yet; but it's likely to be one of the best android phones to buy for a price tag under Rs. 15,000. The phone's got stellar hardware and pure Google experience - aka raw Android; with 4.3 Jelly Bean installed by default. However, this is going to be one of the first phones to get Android 4.4 Kit-Kat. The news about Android 4.4.2 firmware already shipping in UK is already around; but there's no way to confirm yet. Wondering if we have visitors from UK who can confirm the availability of Kit-Kat firmware OTA.

xl_Motorola Moto G ​

Flipkart will begin accepting pre-orders soon and the cost for the same has not been revealed yet. It's likely that Flipkart will offer a few special offers for the phone; because the phone already has a lot of potential buyers. In reviews too, the phone's got thumbs up from the critics.

Even if the phone is offered at a stellar price, is it really worth buying it? There's one big factor to be considered: Motorola's recent acquisition by Lenovo. Motorola is no longer controlled by Google. We need to be absolutely sure that the phone will be serviced at Motorola service centres. The company does sell premium phones in the markets but who's going to take responsibility of the handset servicing, spares and parts replacement? Would love to have feedback on this.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I really doubt that the price will be around Rs. 15000. You expect the Indian price of a gadget to be either two or three grand more but in the past I have seen companies upping the rates by almost five grand. The Moto G will cost somewhere between Rs. 16000 to Rs. 18000.

If you ask me regarding service, I think that was the reason why Google sold off the company to Lenovo. If they themselves had gone ahead to launch the smartphone in a market like India where Motorola has shut down the mobile phone business couple of years ago, They would have wasted millions of dollars establishing a distribution and service chain. Since Lenovo already works in the smartphone market in the country, it would be easy for the company to sell the product.

The only worrying thing about the deal is that will Lenovo continue to sell the Motorola smartphones with stock Android or will it push its own UI/skin to Moto phones ? Only time will tell.

About the phone I was looking forward to it because it was very well received among the reviewers in the US.
  • SHISHIR SONEKAR
    SHISHIR SONEKAR
    flipkart often comes with such surprises for electronic customers...

last time they come up with nexus7 at INR 8'999(after discount). which was not even launched in india.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Flipkart's offering a lot:
    • Rs. 500 off on eBooks
    • Rs.1000 off on clothing
    • 70% of on Moto G covers
    • 100% cashback chance (store credits) on purchase of Moto G.
    The official price has not been announced yet. Will update this as soon as Flipkart sends some information.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, the official price of Moto G in India is Rs. 12499 - for the 8GB model and Rs. 14499 for the 16 GB model. The phone will be available exclusively on Flipkart for the first two weeks starting today and will then be made available on other online retailers.

Note that at the time of updating this discussion, Flipkart's website is yet to reveal the price. The news comes from TOI and is reliable.

I think for the price and specs it offers - Moto G is a highly recommned buy if you are looking to buy a sub Rs. 15,000 android.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
  • Nirmal Parwate
    Nirmal Parwate
    Finally it launched!!! Awesome job done by motorola for not hiking the price a lot, compared to other markets!! Best config at the price from a good brand!! About the service centers motorola released a list of those so hopefully no worries on that front!
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Moto G ​
    Moto G is as of now sold out. The smartphone went up on sale at midnight and it seems people went crazy for it. Flipkart has said that the rest of the imported stock will be up for sale at noon.
    My question is however, is it the phone that managed to do the trick or was it the offers that Flipkart offered which pushed the sales ?
    Second question, what about after sales service ? The deal between Lenovo and Google has not been finalised yet, so who will be responsible when something goes wrong with the phone ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Someone tell me - is Lenovo providing all the servicing and support to the new Moto G or we'll have to rely on our local servicing folks to fix it if things go wrong?

@#-Link-Snipped-# - Moto G getting 'sold out' is clearly a trick by Flipkart to create the sense of urgency and elevate the demand & 'want factor'. Had they informed us that the new stock will come in 1 or 2 days; I'd have believed them. Old tricks, Flipkart!
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    According #-Link-Snipped-#,

Γ’€œMotorola has imported 5,600 units of 8GB Moto G and 5,000 units of the 16GB version for launch. All these units will be available at FlipkartΓ’€
    This shows two things. First, the product will be sold online retailers only and this shows that Motorola has not done anything about the distribution of the phone among brick and mortar shops. I can confirm that the phone has not made its way to Bhubaneswar shops, can other members of VoiCE check in with their local shops and check its availability (especially Metros)?

Second, why have all these units being given to Flipkart? What about Snapdeal who had put up 1000 pieces up for pre-order even before they had declared the prices (they are sold out now)? #-Link-Snipped-# say that the phone will be launched by third week of February and that the phone comes with Γ’€œFree 1 Year Accidental Warranty + Free 1 Year Extended Support WarrantyΓ’€ along with manufacturer warranty. They have failed to mention who exactly will do all these things.

I was planning to make get my hands on this, but my trusted gadget buying advisor said to me to hang back and wait for sometime before taking the plunge since he was being quite sceptical about after sales service.
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    SHISHIR SONEKAR
    flipkart often comes with such surprises for electronic customers...

last time they come up with nexus7 at INR 8'999(after discount). which was not even launched in india.
    @#-Link-Snipped-# the Nexus 7 which was priced at Rs.8,999 was the 2012 edition (an older version, hence the low price). There are 2 versions of the Nexus 7 i.e. the 2012 edition and the 2013 edition both are manufactured by Asus.

And when the 2013 edition Nexus 7 was released, the price for the 2012 edition dropped to Rs.9k to Rs.11k (varying from retailer-to-retailer) and the 2013 edition was priced around Rs.20k to Rs.22k.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I ordered Moto G , 8GB yesterday evening which is expected to delivered by today.
    But, mistakenly, I ordered it for my sister 😨
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    I ordered Moto G , 8GB yesterday evening which is expected to delivered by today.
    Congratulations!

PS: If possible, Do an unboxing and review for the rest of us πŸ˜€
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The mystery of service has been finally solved.
    Yes, Motorola will be providing after sales service via its authorized service centers across the country. The customer care number is 1-800-102-2344
    and on this link you can find a list of all the authorised service centers located across all states: Motorola Support - Find Answers | Motorola Mobility, Inc.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Kumar
    How is this phone?

I want to get my hands on the 16GB variant, but am skeptical about the after sales servicing. Fingers crossed. And the other thing is it's just the beginning of this beautiful year, any other higher priced phone would go to waste by year end, as Moto G has already started the trend for 'cheap is better'.

@#-Link-Snipped-#: Any plans on ditching the Note 2? I know it won't be necessary, because Note 2 is a beast. But considering the size?πŸ˜˜πŸ‘

#. stuck with Samsung Galaxy S3 mini and Nokia E66. Need a single DUAL SIM device now. 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll post a full review sometime. Just got my hands on the device and it's gorgeous. You can't get a better phone for the price; take my words.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll post a full review sometime. Just got my hands on the device and it's gorgeous. You can't get a better phone for the price; take my words.
    Oh. That was fast!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Mathew
    @#-Link-Snipped-#: Any plans on ditching the Note 2? I know it won't be necessary, because Note 2 is a beast. But considering the size?πŸ˜˜πŸ‘
    I'm all done with my phone love. I'm in no mood to change my phone anytime soon (next 2-3 years). Happy with Note and it's size mainly because the device acts as my portable office, allowing me to check emails and do moderation activities on the go.

I don't know how will the markets change in the next few years. I however will opt for an Apple phone if they launch a bigger size variant.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm all done with my phone love. I'm in no mood to change my phone anytime soon (next 2-3 years). Happy with Note and it's size mainly because the device acts as my portable office, allowing me to check emails and do moderation activities on the go.
    True that. And the best part is the battery will last!

I don't know how will the markets change in the next few years. I however will opt for an Apple phone if they launch a bigger size variant.
    Man, you don't use 2 wheelers that often do you? πŸ˜’πŸ‘€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Mathew
    Man, you don't use 2 wheelers that often do you? πŸ˜’πŸ‘€
    I'm an AAM Aadmi. πŸ˜–
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Mathew
    How is this phone?
    I ordered to my sister's address (college).
    Deedar-E Moto-G abhi baki hai β˜•,
    I literally wanted this phone but stuck with SII😘.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Anoop Kumar
    I ordered to my sister's address (college).
    Deedar-E Moto-G abhi baki hai β˜•,
    I literally wanted this phone but stuck with SII😘.
    hey Anoop u must have received ur Moto G . wats ur sis review?... I need it For my Sister too..
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    Yes, I got the review. It quite nice phone and she likes it.
    As per spec and look you already know that no phone in this range is as beautiful as Moto-G
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I got to use this device today from a colleague. It's good. Camera in low lighting is no good. I really liked the grip back cover. Good designing, and ergonomics. Worth the price πŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most of the cameras I've seen aren't capable of capturing high quality photos indoors. The photos look better if you have sufficient indoor lighting.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Flipkart celebrating 1 million MOTO phone sales!

offer-page
  • Nirmal Parwate
    Nirmal Parwate
    There's a new challenger to Moto E in the market...
    Xiaomi Mi3..
    The specs are great...
    Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz Quad Core
    2GB RAM
    13MP Camera
    5 inch ful HD Display..
    And MIUI OS on top of Android 4.3 with whole lot of customisation
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Nirmal Parwate
    There's a new challenger to Moto E in the market...
    Xiaomi Mi3..
    The specs are great...
    Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz Quad Core
    2GB RAM
    13MP Camera
    5 inch ful HD Display..
    And MIUI OS on top of Android 4.3 with whole lot of customisation
    Yes, But still Brand Name matters why should I spend 10K on Xiaomi as I don't know about the service and all from that company.
  • Nirmal Parwate
    Nirmal Parwate
    One things is that those specs are unmatched at that price... People buy micromax for the reason that it is cheap nothing else so people will buy this phone(hopefully πŸ˜€)... Plus Xiaomi has planned for opening 30 service centers across India...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Nirmal Parwate
    One things is that those specs are unmatched at that price... People buy micromax for the reason that it is cheap nothing else so people will buy this phone(hopefully πŸ˜€)... Plus Xiaomi has planned for opening 30 service centers across India...
    Plan or they have already opened up? I found the list on Flipkart but they are not saying they are opening up soon or opened up already.
  • Nirmal Parwate
    Nirmal Parwate
    You have to register on flipkart.com and only the people who register can buy the phone. The actual phone can be brought on 22nd July after 12 noon
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Nirmal Parwate
    You have to register on flipkart.com and only the people who register can buy the phone. The actual phone can be brought on 22nd July after 12 noon
    Yeah ! I know that. I am not sure about their service center.
  • Nirmal Parwate
    Nirmal Parwate
    I think they will pull through the same as motorola did!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi,iam shanawaz,an UG(B.Tech) student in ECE branch from A.P. ,intrested in new things-the word crazyengineers draged me here
Worrying about shattered glass and broken glass shards may well be a thing of past! Researchers are aiming for a glass that does not shatter when dropped but simply bends...
Recently, Google Chrome Dev Channel stacks for Linux were updated adding AURA UI stack & Chrome App Launcher to the latest unstable build. AURA, the graphical stack for Google Chrome,...
What is best for electrical engineer in the future?
I know an engineers mind not always cool,becz they are try to find better way for build their own carrier.It's not a simple job,there should have lot's of hardwork ,dedicated...