Testing or Development?

Hi,
I need to ask will software testing be a good thing to start as a fresher?
I am BE in IT and been trained in java in cts.
Will software testing be good to start as fresher or should i go for software development?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Surabhi7
    Hi,
    I need to ask will software testing be a good thing to start as a fresher?
    I am BE in IT and been trained in java in cts.
    Will software testing be good to start as fresher or should i go for software development?
    Check this ongoing discussion: Career In Software Testing Vs. Software Development . Does it answer your question?
  • Surabhi7
    Surabhi7
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Check this ongoing discussion: Career In Software Testing Vs. Software Development . Does it answer your question?
    Hi Sir,
    I am still in dilemma regarding testing and development.
    I know the concepts in Java and studied java in BE as well as trained in java in MNC.. I can write codes as i am aware of syntaxes n all but sometimes do face problems in logic. When the training was going on i found java interesting(from BE it was interesting) but i am not sure always i'll be able to code.. I have no idea how it all(devlopment field) works in corporate.. What exactly we are supposed to do as developer and wat extra skills it requires.. I just heard going in devlopment is better.

Apart from this I dont have any idea about testing domain.. some say its non-it.. well i dont know about it.. furthermore its said its easy to switch from devlopment to testing but reverse is not easy.. i am not sure about how to choose between the two.. i have a fear if testing doesn't go fine with me then would it be easy to switch to development and reverse can also happen if i would not find coding interesting at some point of time then wat would be the career options left for me..

Please help me! I really need it.. its becoming difficult for me to find my interests..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I hope you have read the article I pointed you to. It talks about both the career options and general growth in both the fields. As you'd understand, there's no one fixed path that fits all. So how do you pick up the best career option for yourself?

It's easy! Pick up the one where your interests lie. That's one sure shot way of having a successful and fulfilled career. In your case, it's not clear how long have you spent in MNC into development field to make a well informed decision (and we can base our answers only on the basis of information you're providing to us). It however appears that you've spent < 2 years and I'd recommend that you should spend a few more months to understand how things work in the development track.

At the same time, expose yourself to testing. Find out what it offers and whether you find it interesting. It's high time that you give up basing your decisions on what others think about testing or development - because they are giving suggestions based on what's good or not good for them; not you.

Do this-
    1. Find out the root cause that's making you unhappy with your current track (development). You might need an attitude change to tackle the problem. For example, what if you switch to testing and you're expected to learn a difficult technology or tool? What will you do?
    2. Find out the best ways to address the cause; if switching to testing wasn't an option.
    3. Try to talk to multiple people who're in testing and see what they tell you about their work. But make your own observations too. Do you think you'll be able to do what they're doing? Do you find it interesting and exciting?
    4. If possible, join a short course in testing. It will give you a complete exposure to what's involved in software testing, manual testing, automation testing etc.

Surabhi7
    i have a fear if testing doesn't go fine with me then would it be easy to switch to development and reverse can also happen if i would not find coding interesting at some point of time then wat would be the career options left for me
    You will have this fear no matter which field you choose. So why not address the fear first? Make yourself awesome in Java and you should be absolutely fine.
  • Surabhi7
    Surabhi7
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I hope you have read the article I pointed you to. It talks about both the career options and general growth in both the fields. As you'd understand, there's no one fixed path that fits all. So how do you pick up the best career option for yourself?

It's easy! Pick up the one where your interests lie. That's one sure shot way of having a successful and fulfilled career. In your case, it's not clear how long have you spent in MNC into development field to make a well informed decision (and we can base our answers only on the basis of information you're providing to us). It however appears that you've spent < 2 years and I'd recommend that you should spend a few more months to understand how things work in the development track.

At the same time, expose yourself to testing. Find out what it offers and whether you find it interesting. It's high time that you give up basing your decisions on what others think about testing or development - because they are giving suggestions based on what's good or not good for them; not you.

Do this-
    1. Find out the root cause that's making you unhappy with your current track (development). You might need an attitude change to tackle the problem. For example, what if you switch to testing and you're expected to learn a difficult technology or tool? What will you do?
    2. Find out the best ways to address the cause; if switching to testing wasn't an option.
    3. Try to talk to multiple people who're in testing and see what they tell you about their work. But make your own observations too. Do you think you'll be able to do what they're doing? Do you find it interesting and exciting?
    4. If possible, join a short course in testing. It will give you a complete exposure to what's involved in software testing, manual testing, automation testing etc.

You will have this fear no matter which field you choose. So why not address the fear first? Make yourself awesome in Java and you should be absolutely fine.
    Yes Sir,
    I have just completed my training in Java in MNC. I am an entry level fresher only. Not experienced. Since i am aware of java from my BE so asked. I am not aware of how development works at corporate level and nothing about testing.. hence the confusion arised....and i felt asking on this site.. hope i am much more clear this time...thus a bit confused in taking decision..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Buy yourself a CrazyEngineers T-shirt ๐Ÿ˜‰ , and boost your confidence 10x!

PS: Just kidding.
  • Surabhi7
    Surabhi7
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Buy yourself a CrazyEngineers T-shirt ๐Ÿ˜‰ , and boost your confidence 10x!

PS: Just kidding.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
    Sure Sir, i really need to boost up my confidence!
    Thanks..
  • Agha Abdul Rahman
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes indeed it will be a good start for you but be attentive because it tough job than others .
  • Surabhi7
    Surabhi7
    ๐Ÿ˜จ๐Ÿ˜จ
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    Yes indeed it will be a good start for you but be attentive because it tough job than others .
    Tough?? What??????? Why??????
  • Agha Abdul Rahman
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    Because if you know about the pays of workers in software house tester is on second , information collector is on first in pay ,and tester is on second because tester need dedicated time much more time for his testing and if any error will occur than he has to face the music because the whole software project can be loosen by the whole software house therefore i said you to be attentive for this work but I know you a crazy engineer I know you can do it.
  • Surabhi7
    Surabhi7
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    Because if you know about the pays of workers in software house tester is on second , information collector is on first in pay ,and tester is on second because tester need dedicated time much more time for his testing and if any error will occur than he has to face the music because the whole software project can be loosen by the whole software house therefore i said you to be attentive for this work but I know you a crazy engineer I know you can do it.
    Ok .. so you are software tester??
  • Agha Abdul Rahman
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    NO I'm not I am a student but my teachers told me about all these things.
  • Surabhi7
    Surabhi7
    Agha Abdul Rahman
    NO I'm not I am a student but my teachers told me about all these things.
    Ok..
  • Sunil Sahu
    Sunil Sahu
    Kaustubh sir,
    Today I logged in ur website and I am really inspired by you. I think you can help me to go ahead following my career option.
    Am an mechanical Engineer and I want to switch to IT industry as a career by gaining knowledge with courses.
    But now I got confused which course I ll prefer as carrer option
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sunil Sahu
    But now I got confused which course I ll prefer as carrer option
    I really can't help you pick up one 'magic' course that will help you get a job of your dreams. That decision will have to be yours. Find out what domain you wish to get into and then start looking for the best course available. I'm sure our fellow engineers would be happy to help you if you ask them very specific questions.
  • krunal k
    krunal k
    Hi,
    I am about to complete my engineering in IT .
    I have started applying for jobs,I am all focused about getting a career in software testing.
    Can you please suggest me some skills and certifications in testing that would help me pursue my goal?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    krunal k
    I have started applying for jobs,I am all focused about getting a career in software testing.
    Can you please suggest me some skills and certifications in testing that would help me pursue my goal?
    If you are applying for software testing jobs, you should aim at getting a certification in software QA. Look at the ISTQB website for details about certifications available. Similarly if you are applying for development job; you might want to get certification in the language / technology / tool of your choice. Certification will definitely improve your chances of getting selected.
  • krunal k
    krunal k
    Thanks for the info!๐Ÿ˜€
    looking forward for ISTQB foundation level certification.
  • silver123
    silver123
    No matter what you choose, both the things would land you a bright & successful career.Most important thing to decide is your interest, So choose based on your interest.
  • Prachi Chhatwal
    Prachi Chhatwal
    Hello,
    I am BSc(H) Instrumentation graduate from DU in 2015. I was hired by a service providing company, its been 1.5yrs in the organisation by I didn't get opportunity to do either Development or Testing as I was tagged in a support project. I didn't get a good beginning as I belong to Non-IT background and I found that worse happened with me. I am not in a position to switch the company and I am finding you continue difficult. Please help me which career path should I choose- Development or Testing in my Service providing company? And how can I make my career better in it as of now I am in a very confusing state.
    (P.S. I don't have much interest in coding, I will start my MCA(correspondence) from IGNOU in June 2017)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there any opinion in this society about this phone? I am practically clueless at what to look at while purchasing a smart phone. Recently I got blanked with Android...
Good News! OnePlus folks have announced the preorder system for the OnePlus One phone. The company will start accepting preorders starting 27 October. The https://preorder.oneplus.net page current shows the countdown...
Please tell the approach of solving ques 18 and 19 ,I cant understand the logic out here.
Wishing all our CEans a very happy Diwali. May this festival of lights bring happiness, prosperity and success to your lives. Stay Crazy!
I need to buy a 42 inch smart led tv โ€‹Pls let me know the best deal. Thanx for all the help