Tesla Wants to Build a Battery for Your House

Quote:
Tesla Motors Inc., best known for making the all-electric Model S sedan, is using its lithium-ion battery technology to position itself as a frontrunner in the emerging energy-storage market that supplements and may ultimately threaten the traditional electric grid.
Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    Thank you sir for the article....😀😀
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Good stuff. Two of the biggest obstacles for home owners to live off the grid are costs of Solar PV panels and batteries.

With Telsa unveiling this, I hope this will spur other battery manufacturers can enter this market and make this mainstream and affordable.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    By the way, didn't Musk just sell a freakin battery to people in the name of 'new technology'? I saw the entire keynote but there was nothing that'd hint at technological innovation or something that's ground-breaking!

Is it cool because it's got Tesla embossed on it?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    By the way, didn't Musk just sell a freakin battery to people in the name of 'new technology'? I saw the entire keynote but there was nothing that'd hint at technological innovation or something that's ground-breaking!

Is it cool because it's got Tesla embossed on it?
    I don't think it was meant to be ground breaking. Tesla is using their expertise in batteries and power systems to further commodify battery storage systems that are integrated with solar charging, safe, cost effective, easy to use and scalable.

I think Telsa's 10kWh Powerwall @ $3500 is a step in the right direction. You'll need maybe a 4kW PV system to fill it up daily which costs about $5000.

How much of electricity do you guys consume per month? I think my house uses about 300kWh p/month, so I'm pretty much thinking the above system setup of ~$10k would allow me to live off grid assuming it is shinning everyday. 5 years ago when I got a quotation from a local PV vendor, ~$10k was only enough to power my computer off grid, let alone the whole house. Perhaps some PV experts here can help correct my assumptions.

I do encourage you guys check out the keynote yourself:
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Light weight concrete (LWC) is a new technology developed in recent years. It is made up of cement – sand slurry with certain percentage of...
Project Abstract / Summary : Water bodies are being polluted by various sources such as domestic waste, oil spills, mining, marine dumping, etc. Apart from all these the primary source...
hi all, can anyone fix this error? am getting during installation of drupal in my windows 7 64bit machine, in a wampserver error: PDOException: SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not...
Politics isn't the career line any engineer would think of pursuing unless he/she belongs to a family active in politics. This discussion is meant for anyone who's thinking of making...
Samsung fans in India have a new smartphone to munch on as the brand new Galaxy A7 has been officially released in the country with hopes to capture the attention...