Tension adjustment

this is going to sound like a dumb question but I'm having trouble figuring out the practical solution to the following problem:

I have a stressed cable fixed at one end and attached to a crank at the other. The cable has a linear density L, is at tension T, is length K and I want to increase tension to rT. The cable passes through a fixed node as it exits the crank. Can I calculate how many radians I need to crank based on radius (assume fixed)? My missing link here is how to calculate in advance, rather than "tighten until tension reaches rT," e.g.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    You need to provide a free-body diagram, to express the problem even clearly.

because if the crank turns, then the orientation of the cable changes as well.

why don't you post some free-body diagrams showing the initial position of the crank and the cable and the fixed end.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, Could anyone help me in listing some mini projects in CSE ? I am in 3rd sem now.
Plz help me to know the best book to learn android for beginners ? Thank You.
I am making an android app and I want to get the values of latitude and longitude of a particular user depending on the IMEI unique id of the android...
"I will embed all the lectures if you need. So Please comment" Lecture:- 88 Full Subtractor (Part 1) Lecture:-41 Binary Division Lecture:-95 Programmable Logic Array (PLA) Lecture:- 83 Comparison between...
Hi, I purchased Acer Aspire S7-392 five months ago. It was working fine until 3 weeks ago. I am facing a weird problem as now I haven't heard such case...