tensile and compressive stresses

In forming operation why does tensile force needs to be kept for some time so that there will be permanent deformation ..where as if forces are compressive there is no need to maintain load for some time???

Replies

• Sree Raj
    Sree Raj
    Pre tensile stress is given so that there 'll be a residual stress forming inside the material. Further when the material is to fail,it has to overcome the residual stress/ strain. So it can take more load compared to those without pre stressed.
  • shirishuchiha06
    shirishuchiha06
    You r right mate,but my main concern is with compressive force...when we extrude wires we Dont need to keep compressive force for extra time to avoid regaining..but in drawing operation even if stress is beyond yield point tensile load needs to be kept for some time to avoid regaining..why does compressive stress curve differs from tensile curve on stress strain diagram??
  • Sree Raj
    Sree Raj
    That's because most of the failures occur by tensile rather than compressive stress.
  • priya ray
    priya ray
    Hi friends ,i am new

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone tell me how to disable pendrive port only and not other usb ports using java program?
A lot of research these days goes into creating newer sources of energy for our many gadgets. The prominent source among these are the Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) batteries which are found...
Sony has launched PumpX, a portable speaker for personal entertainment. The device contains two 10W speakers that have support for Bluetooth and NFC as well. Sony claims that the wireless-chargeable...
After launching an entry-level smartphone Intex Aqua Amoled, last week, the Indian mobile manufacturer has now introduced a new budget smartphone- Intex Aqua Xtreme V. A successor to Intex Aqua...
hi, i am a 2nd year student and i wanted a mini project.....pls give me some ideas..................