Tata Sky MPEG-4 Set Top Box To Offer More Channels

India's leading Direct To Home (DTH) service provider, Tata Sky has partnereed with Broadom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM) to offer MPEG-4 capable set top boxes all over India. The move will allow Tata Sky to optimise the bandwidth and offer larger number of channel options to all its subscribers. If you are a new Tata Sky subscriber with a new SD, SD+, HD, HD+ set-top-box; then you need not worry because the chances are that your STB is already MPEG-4 compatible. But the old subscribers will have to upgrade to the new STBs. That won't cost you a buck, because Tata Sky will replace those boxes absolutely free of cost. The company estimates that about 5-6 million boxes will need to be replaced with the newer ones.

Tata-Sky-Dish

Once the transition to MPEG-4 compatible STBs is done, Tata Sky will explore the options of offering more content through their DTH service. Mr. Harit Nagpal, CEO of Tata Sky, which is a joint venture between Tata Group & Star Ventures, said that the move to MPEG-4 standards is a major milestone for the company and will offer significant benefit to the subscribers. Nagpal said that the BroadCom's Satellite Set-Top Box devices offer best-in-class integration, performance and energy-efficiency and was the most straightforward choice.

This indeed is an interesting move. Tata Sky's had waited for ISRO to provide additional transponder space and the application's been pending since 2007. The company's already considering a legal action against ISRO. The adoption of the newer standard will require at least another year.

Stay tuned for important updates!

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#tata

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    the old subscribers will have to upgrade to the new STBs. That won't cost you a buck, because Tata Sky will replace those boxes absolutely free of cost.

This indeed a great news.
    By the way I am keen to know that right now which technology STB are we using ?
    I mean to say, in which aspect current STB's are not as good as MPeg-4 STB ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    This indeed a great news.
    By the way I am keen to know that right now which technology STB are we using ?
    I mean to say, in which aspect current STB's are not as good as MPeg-4 STB ?
    The older ones are on MPEG-2. The newer ones are already MPEG-4.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sir Please suggest me some new ideas for B.Tech major Project.I am really very interested in programming.Please suggest some innovative ideas which can be implemented by using C# .net. I...
Rust is the compiled system programming language designed for safe, concurrent & performance programming.The primary objective of the rust language is to ease the creation of heavy client-server application.The veteran...
I am a final year instrumentation engineering student. I have planned to do project on pH automation in sugar industry(sulphitation area). pH being a non-linear parameter, is it possible to...
Recently, A CEan asked about Graphene, & unfortunately after searching in the forum I didn't found any thread which can answer his query. So, this thread is dedicated to the...
hello..what microwave equipment is good to research with..?? I hope you can help me again..thank you CE..