Switch on the fault scheme in distance relay?

What is switch on the fault scheme? when it is used? and why it is instantaneous ?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The question is too open.
    There are situations where a fault can cause major damage to circuits or equipment. In such cases generally a crow bar protection circuit is used.
    I was myself involved in developing a microwbar spark detection and protection circuit for an aerospace Electro Chemical Milling Machine. This machine was designed for running at 10000 amps (40V DC)load. The problem was that if there was a small spark of even a few amps, a very expensive tool would be damaged. It was necessary to detect a very small current spark riding on a very large load current and short circuit the supply voltage within micro secs and then use a cascaded thyristor switch off and contactor opening to protect the mains supply.
    The crucial issue was the shorting of the load side within micro secs to minimise tool damage. Hence the name microwbar protection.

Here are a couple of links on crow bar protection:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Crowbar %28Circuit%29

(As an interesting aside, the name crow bar protection apparently came from linemen working on HV lines throwing an iron crow bar across live and neutral to protect other workers from getting accidentally electrocuted.)
  • kashmirihasan
    kashmirihasan
    oky but how it is used as a function of distance relay?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am not knowledgeable in this area. What I described may have nothing to do with what you want.
    May be this paper from General Electric may help.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • kashmirihasan
    kashmirihasan
    yes. But i need a little bit elaboration on this topik

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how to calculate the total load of your home in terms of amperes?
We need around 7,500 more signatures for Google drive to come to linux. Will you CEans, please login to : https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/google-create-a-native-linux-google-drive-application & sign the petition ? Thank you 😀
Let us take a detailed look at Stub Protection in Electrical Grid Stations.
Do we have a thread, that I have not yet located, for MicroStation CAD program, and applications to run MDL or similar programs. Initial interest would be in a Mechanical...
'Screenagers' - that's the word that describes all of us. We're already surrounded by a number of screens and the latest research from Singapore's Nanyang Technological University is aiming to...