Supercomputer simulates the Universe - and it's 'like the real thing'!

For several years, astronomers have tried to develop the computer-simulated models of the Universe; but without the desired success. The galaxies formed in computer simulations were typically extremely massive, sometimes too small or too old. The computers would generate galaxies of very spherical shape; which haven't been observed. However, a research group comprising of researchers from the Durham University and the Leiden University have succeeded in developing a simulation that is like the real thing!

Professor Richard Bower of Durham University says that the simulation of the Universe his team created has galaxies everywhere, of various shapes sizes and even colors that have been actually observed by the largest of the telescopes. The galaxies created by the computers are like those in the EAGLE simulation aka the Evolution and Assembly of Galaxies and their Environments. Bower says that in the EAGLE universe simulation, he can just press the button and make the time run backwards. This achievement is expected to allow the researchers to study the formation of individual galaxies in detail.

TheUniverse-EAGLE

The team used Institute for Computational Cosmology Durham University - PhD and postgraduate research in astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology aka the Cosmology Machine, which is the DiRAC2 Data Centric System commissioned about 2 years ago at Durham University along with 'CEA - HPC - TGCC Curie' supercomputer in Paris. These supercomputers worked for several months to simulate the Universe with impressive results. The picture above is a close-up of the galaxy formed using EAGLE simulation method with blue, green and red colors indicating the increasing temperature of the cosmic gases. Do check out the video that shows the entire process of formation of Universe -

We'd encourage you to explore the EAGLE project in detail on the official project page: The EAGLE Project

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just wanted to ask that on a particular OS ,is the implementation of a scheduling algorithm unique,lets say I am implementing round-robin in my OS ,so will every task...
Though there's no official word about the launch, XOLO India has added a new Octa Core smartphone in its 8X series portfolio. Called the XOLO Play 8X 1020, the new...
Hi any one have seminars and seminar reports on arm7 processors of links ? if u have plz post them here.
2014 proved to be a marvelous year for Xiaomi not just in China but company’s global appearance was worth appreciating. It is learned that Xiaomi captured third place among smartphone...
It appears to me that the innovation in technology is totally directionless; which may prove fatal against the human race in future. The engineers working in the technology domain have...