Suggestion for a feature: Bookmarks

I just felt a need for this to exist.

Can we get a bookmark button on threads so that if we are not free as of now to read the whole thing but we want to check it out later or keep tabs on it regularly,

A bookmarking feature maybe?

Don't rule it out by saying you have browser bookmarks. I would prefer to keep my window clean rather than cluttered.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nayan Goenka
    I just felt a need for this to exist.

Can we get a bookmark button on threads so that if we are not free as of now to read the whole thing but we want to check it out later or keep tabs on it regularly,

A bookmarking feature maybe?

Don't rule it out by saying you have browser bookmarks. I would prefer to keep my window clean rather than cluttered.
    We already have a 'Watch' option at the top of every discussion, download or project. You may click on it and receive updates about it or just browse through your 'Watched' links here: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Not watching threads. Bookmarking, like Youtube "Watch Later". We can have read later
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nayan Goenka
    Not watching threads. Bookmarking, like Youtube "Watch Later". We can have read later
    Well, how'd that feature be different from watching?

-> You bookmark threads and they are available at a location.
    -> You watch a thread and it's available under 'watched threads'.

I mean, how would 'bookmarks' behave differently than watched threads?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Watched threads give you notification if any activity is done under them. Comment and stuff.
    If you just comment on some thread, still they get watched. And you end up receiving notifications (unless you manually unwatch it).

Bookmark a thread will just be a pinned posts lists which you decide to read or surf when you are free. Let's say a post is being made and you don't have time enough to read it at that particular time, you can save it for later.

In cases where many posts are made by #-Link-Snipped-# sir, they don't have much activity below them and those are particularly long reads, even if you watch those threads, you don't get notifications since nothing happens much on them. And they are sunk in abyss even in Watched threads section since you are continuously interacting on other threads.

Hope I made the difference elaborate.
    So a bookmark or read later feature would be useful to catalogue specially interesting stuff.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we provide complete control over whether you wish to receive notifications from the threads which you respond to. If you wish to disable receiving emails for the updates on the threads that you've participated in, you may disable the option here: #-Link-Snipped-# (First Option)

Whenever you watch a thread, the system asks where you wish to receive alerts. You may choose to opt out of alerts. I think Ramani sir's threads can be watched and you may choose your own options about receiving alerts on any activity on those threads.

Our only concern is that bookmarking would be a duplicate feature. We could just rename 'Watch Threads' to 'Bookmark Threads'.
  • avii
    avii
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Whenever you watch a thread, the system asks where you wish to receive alerts. You may choose to opt out of alerts.
    No, it asks about only email alerts.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    No, it asks about only email alerts.
    Right. It asks whether you want an optional email. I think it's quite logical to receive alert (through the pop-up bubble), when the discussion you have bookmarked or are watching is updated.

My point is "Watched Threads" and "Bookmarks" aren't really different. It's just about alerts, which can be turned off through the user preferences.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: I see the need for this. Adding this to my to-do list. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sir/Madam engineers I'm badly needed some ideas or proposal for our thesis this year.. Hoping for your kindness... ^^,..
8 Types of Beer you should stop drinking immediately!
Google’s recent acquisition Nest has bought Dropcam for $555 million. For the uninitiated, Dropcam is a Silicon Valley startup founded by Greg Duffy and Aamir Virani that manufacturers IP cameras...
Quote: National student design competitions that focus on new medical devices and technologies can provide an excellent source of intellectual property for licensing or purchase by medical device companies. Not...